Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found my bike yesterday morning lying on its side!!! (the other side of the bike stand) I'm pretty sure it's some thugs who pushed it. One mate of mine said it is possible the wind blew it over especially if wind got under the cover.... Apparently it happened to her before. I find that hard to believe... we did not have a tsunami that night. Can wind blow over 170kgs of bike?
Another mate said that is highly improbable!

By some miracle not much damage was caused which I am surprised about...I mean, 170kg just tumbling down to the side...I would have expected things to smash. Only the rear brake lever got bent.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I found my bike yesterday morning lying on its side!!! (the other side of the bike stand) I'm pretty sure it's some thugs who pushed it. One mate of mine said it is possible the wind blew it over especially if wind got under the cover.... Apparently it happened to her before. I find that hard to believe... we did not have a tsunami that night. Can wind blow over 170kgs of bike?
Another mate said that is highly improbable!

By some miracle not much damage was caused which I am surprised about...I mean, 170kg just tumbling down to the side...I would have expected things to smash. Only the rear brake lever got bent.
Powerfull winds can bring your bike to the ground...but when I mean powerfull I mean very powerfull, not just a zephyr. So probably someone decided to be tough and kicked yours to the ground...I could be wrong.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think you're wrong. Having a bike in London when you don't have a garage is a risk! But it's extremely hard over here to live in a place with a garage unless you have a lot of money

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't think you're wrong. Having a bike in London when you don't have a garage is a risk! But it's extremely hard over here to live in a place with a garage unless you have a lot of money
Having a bike anywhere in the world is pretty hard, because of the ********. Luckily I have a place where to keep my bike. I know that London is filled with surveilance cameras...you could try to find a store/bank/public place that had a camera pointed to your bike and see what happened.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I keep my bike covered and it has been through some significant wind without being knocked over. Just my .02

·
Registered
109 Posts
The winds here in Colorado are notoriously strong. Over the winter I found my big, heavy gas grill thrown upside down like a child's toy - I can imagine the wind knocking over a bike.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Wind can knock it over. Depending on how level the ground is and the direction of the wind it might not take very much wind to do it. Cover can make this easier to do.

I have had my bike blown over just once. It took a good gust, but wasn't the strongest winds I have seen or had the bike in. I how ever had it on a incline with the kick stand on the high end with the wind coming from that direction. So wind is possible.

Which one did yours, well not enough info to say.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Check the weather forecast to see how windy it really was. 45-50mph gusts can do it, maybe even less if you have a cover on it.

If vandals did it, I would expect more damage as they wouldn't just tip it over, but probably give it a massive push.

Camera's in London? yea, thats for national security sake, not for personal property damage.

Thats like asking the City of CHicago to check their red light camera's because something happened to your bike/car/house.

The inclnation and direction the bike was faced also play a huge role. I would just brush it off, looks like you got lucky with minimal damage. Mother nature is probably more forgiving than some drunk vandals.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Mods vs rockers? Haha. I guess one question is how urban is your setting? Wind could be funneled through buildings and amplified that way

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Chances of it being knocked over by the wind, they rise dramatically when a bike has a cover on it. The cover acts like a sail, or a parachute.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Look closely at that last picture. Why you have to put a cover on when at a bike meet I don't know.

I hope that guy got what he deserved. I'd be pissd if my Ducati fell over because some guy decided he'd put a cover on his already wet/dirty bike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are cameras everywhere but vandals are seldom deterred...

I actually used to volunteer at our local police station and have a mate who may be able to cheek if the nearest camera was pointing in that direction at the time. I doubt the police would give monkies otherwise....

The bike was leaning to the left on the stand but fell to the right. Really amazed not more damage was done. Even if it had just been the wind, it would go crashing down to the right and smash... How is that possible that nothing worse happened...? My cover got a few rips and holes and the strap that secures it underneath was ripped.

Who knows... but the weather has been amazing last few days so doubt there would have been this kind of wind overnight.

London does have tons of bikes and tons stolen or damaged. One of my mates had three stolen....another mate told me of a mate who was literally just sat in a cafe when a van turned up, a few blokes came out picked the bike up, loaded onto the van and disappeared...AMAZING!!!
He could see it but could do nothing!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh wow!!! The domino!!! I'd be livid!!!
Hmmm... so should I not put the cover on...?
It's a tough one cos statistically if your bike is covered, any thugs are much more likely to walk on and not bother checking it out. As soon as it's uncovered, the temptation just may be too much...
I live in a built up area; fairly central. It's a pretty nice area but as anywhere in London most nice areas are right next door to ****ty areas. So we have quite a few dodgy characters around... the bar that's opposite my door had someone stabbed last year....

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Someone stabbed last year? If you have to project the previous violent assault as a yearly venture, you're in a pretty safe area.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Someone stabbed last year? If you have to project the previous violent assault as a yearly venture, you're in a pretty safe area.
:D

Well, there is also a VERY dodgy council estate a mile down the road...

P.S the stabbed person survived...
That bar is pretty dodgy... PLUS there is a crapy chicken takeaway place crawling with chavs (for the U.S folk - people who sit on the dole, have severely limited vocabulary and education, wear fake burberry... you get the picture) round the corner from where I park...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts