Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, somewhat new when it comes to posts, but I have been around this sight a lot and know how to use the search function which solves most of my questions.

Here's my question, I have an 01' 650 naked with a vance and hines full system that sounds like a kazoo! Kind of tired of it, and I had a thought this morning. Has anyone chopped this exhaust system into a stubby system? If so, did the kazoo noise go away?

I know its an older, inferior exhaust system, but its cold right now in MN and I need a project that won't cost much. I just want to know if it will be worth it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have not chopped that particular model of exhaust, but I did do my viper slip on and my current micron full system. Chopping it does make it louder, how much louder depends on how long your muffler ends up being. I can tell you that my micron system sounds really nice and deep after chopping it. I see your in MN too, if your close to ramsey you could always stop by and take a listen to it.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
did the kazoo noise go away?

I know its an older, inferior exhaust system, but its cold right now in MN and I need a project that won't cost much. I just want to know if it will be worth it.

what's inferior?, its a full system and superior to any slip on

the kazoo sound goes away when the packing gets burnt out, as other baffles errode away it get louder & deeper

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, I've torn into it to find a bunch of little pieces of sound packing stuff. When I took that out I notice the baffle just slides into the lower muffler and that it wasn't as snug as I'd like. I figure this might be what makes the kazoo sound as it might act like a reed in an instrument. Long story short I decided to chop it also so hopefully I'll be able to finish it tomorrow and the weather will get above 0 degrees. I hope its not too loud!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah I've got a Vance and Hines full system...Isn't the coolest looking thing in the world but it sounds ok and is better than the stock exhaust.

Plus I'm poor so I can't afford to replace it :-(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, it was only -6 degrees this morning so no sound clips for a while. I did get a couple of pictures though. Bare with me, I am hoping to figure this picture posting thing out quickly.

Before:

After:

I sure hope its not annoyingly loud :)

Now I just need money for a new rear tire that is the right size! oh and at least 40 degree weather

·
Registered
79 Posts
That's the exact muffler I have...I really like the way it looks.

Depending on how loud you say it makes it I might consider doing this to mine.

Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just used a hack saw with a 32 tooth blade. It might be a couple of weeks till I de-winterize it and get a sound bit. I would recommend leaving it a little bit longer so you can make mistakes and fixing them for your final project.

·
Registered
79 Posts
How many blades did you run through? any difficulty getting through the whole thing? I bought a pack of blades and I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow. Just took the exhaust off the bike as the last bit of work today... I bought some hi-temp satin black paint too so I'll post a pic or two to show how that comes out

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only needed one blade to get through it. It's only an aluminum can, and it took probably 3 minutes to get through it.

First thing you should do though is remove the end cap and pull the baffle system out and cut that separately. This will make cutting the can a lot easier and will show you how short you can cut the can.

good luck

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just chopped mine about 4.5 inches today...still semi-long. I then painted it with a bunch of layers of High-Temp flat black bbq grill paint, and re-polished up the bracket. I also wrapped the header in black header wrap. The whole thing is looking really nice...I'll be posting some pics in the next few days as I get my tank and tail back from the line-x shop.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, Its been in the 40's so I couldn't resist. I de-winterized it and starter her up. Its definitely louder, and at first I thought the kazoo was gone, so I had to take it for a ride. A little louder then I hoped but I could live with it, but when down shifting, that kazoo noise is even worst! I can't stand it. I love how it looks, but the kazoo has got to go. So, another question, what exhaust muffler will fit with the Vance and Hines headers? Thanks, and if you have any old cans sitting around that I could try, I and my wife would would greatly appreciate it! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another question before I starting trying to fit a another type of slip-on muffler to the Vance and Hines headers and mid-pipe to try and get ride of the awful kazoo noise on decelerating. Is that noise even coming from the exhaust can or is it possibly in the headers?

Thank you

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anybody know if I can use the vance and hines headers and even mid-pipe with any aftermarket cans?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Kazoo... :icon_biggrin:

You do know its a v-twin right? ...and that it's 650cc? Its not ever going to 'rumble'.

Try taking the can off altogether and see if you still hear the "kazoo". Otherwise it could be air leaking around the endcaps... ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, just an update on the kazoo. I was given a two brothers can, so I decided to tear into the vance and hines can to figure where the weird kazoo sound was coming from. Once I drill out the rivets on the input part of the can I still could not remove the "ineards", well long story short, I had too split the whole shell of the can to find another baffling and kazoo parts. Not a simple end cap, baffle and input cap like most exhaust pipes. So now the vance and hines is in the trash and I have adapted a two bros to the mid-pipe and man does it sound good.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts