Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Valve cover gasket replacement during valve adjustment?

18K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  xencfw 
#1 ·
Hi folks, I'm new to the bike scene and a mechanic is probably trying to take me for a ride. I'm asking you for second opinion.

I wanted to have valve adjustment service for my 03 SV650s with 17k miles. I bought this bike used and previous owner hasn't done this service.

So I called a person locally and over the phone he told me that he needs to replace the valve gasket cover while doing my valve adjustment. He hasn't even looked at the bike. He said he needs to do this to prevent leaks. He said he has 30 years+ experience bla bla bla.

I felt bullied so I just politely said I'll think it over. He quoted me $400.

#4 ·
Yes but if you are a mechanic and the book says to replace the gasket you are far better off replacing the gasket then having your customer come back *****ing about a oil leak.

The gaskets are cheap anyway.

Ask him what it would cost to CHECK but not adjust the valves. More often then not, they don't need to be adjusted at 16000 and checking is very easy. It would probably just take him an hour or so.

#7 ·
Unless you fubar it taking it off... I didn't even use any sealant or anything but the point is, the book says to replace and if the mechanic wants to replace them, what can you really say? $20 is a small portion of $400. Shop around.

#17 ·
Often you can get away without the gasket, but keep in mind yours are coming up on 8 years old... The mechanic was covering his butt, so that your not coming back complaining about a leak.

This is a case where the tech is ****ed either way- you'll complain if it leaks, or you'll complain about the cost. In all fairness, in MY 30 years as a master tech, I've never pulled a cam or valve cover without having a new one ready on the bench.

#18 ·
if the gasket is in good shape and not cracked or difficult to get off i would not replace it. the mechanic should know this. some are o-ring style and designed so it's not to be replaced everytime the valves are checked. just tell the mechanic to call you on every decision for what to do so he doesn't do something you don't want done. tell him to keep all the leftover stuff that gets replaced too so you can inspect it yourself, that way you save your self the hassle of arguing about something that could have been prevented.

#23 ·
I have never noticed anything about replacing a bolt/nut in the manual (unless they are damaged). If it is there please enlighten us with where it states it. Otherwise I call :bs:

#32 ·
Again, show us the proof in the manual where it states to replace those every time you remove them.

Just as an FYI
When I swapped out my cams and checked the valve clearances I replacd every o ring and seal.

As for the crush washer and oil fill o ring. Yes I replace the crush ring every time. Off the top of my head I don't remember what the SV manual states, but my Triumph manual states to simply inspect the oil fill o ring for cracks, tears and damage and replace as necessary.

I am not trying to continue to beat a dead horse here, but there is a difference between the manual "recommending" a change and flat out telling you to change.

I know a lot of people have gotten away without changing the seals and that is great, however when I do a job I don't want to take the chance of having to go back in and re-do it because I was too lazy and cheap to buy a seal.

#25 ·
how many of you guys/gals are mechanics? one of the basic things you are taught is if you take something apart that has a gasket inbetween you replace it. afew of you guys might have lucked out without any leaks but as a mechanic he is covering his own butt. and they're cheap. just do it.

rock dodger stated he didnt it really slow and carefully and was able to save them. a mechanic is not going to go slow and try to save it. hes going to take it apart, clean off areas and replaces gaskets.

if money is tight just do it yourself

#26 ·
That is not the point, nobody is saying don't do it, just that you don't have to.
Manual will also tell you to replace seals on 3 cover bolts, I bet you they did not.
O-rings are another thing recommended to replace, how many times did you replace o_ring on oil fill cap. Or crush washer on oil drain plug.

#33 ·
Page 3-14 in manual say:
"The engine mounting nuts are self-locking. Once the nuts have been removed, they are no longer of any use"
Page 3-118 for valve cover:
"use the new gasket to prevent oil leakage" - for both gasket and washers under bolts.

If you read manual pretty much every O-ring is listed as replace, wherever manual goes in detail. Even big O-ring on clutch cover said to replace every time you take cover off, we still don't do it.

fyi. I am mechanic, been doing it for 10 years on sv and probably got valve covers off several hundred times. I have never replaced one of this if it came out undamaged. In all this time I have seen only 1 that leaked, after cleaning half a circle area and applying sealant it stopped.

ps. some stuff I mentioned here I did to give you example of things some people don't change (some do) and it works just fine. I am not telling you not to replace, just that you don't have to every single time. There are things I will never reuse and there are things I will.

#35 ·
here's my thoughts... I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I am a Automotive mechanic...
at my dealership and everyone I've ever worked at, gaskets like valve covers ALWAYS get replaced.. why ? customer comebacks..
whats worse than having to change it once? changing it twice.. and not getting paid for it.

do they REALLY, REALLY need to be replaced? maybe not... but the CYA (cover your ass) rule always applies.

if you're that stickly about not replacing it give the tech the option.. if it does leak after not replacing it... you will pay the labour AGAIN to do it all over.

thats what i would do.

well... actually i would save up the 20 bucks and replace it... but thats just me.

#38 ·
Oh, don't get me wrong... doing the job at home or even for someone else at home.. off the clock... that seal wouldn't be replaced. unless of course.. like you said "needed it".

and trust me, as the person who been blamed for reaming customers i can totally agree that it happens,
I personally don't like getting reamed so, i don't try to do it to anyone else,
but sometimes in a customers eyes they feel as though they are getting ripped off for no good reason, and i can understand that. I would feel the same way too.

sometimes in my job what I think is covering my may well be considered ripping someone off.... it's a fine line... a $%**@ fine line.. haha

#43 ·
I replaced the gaskets after my valve adjustment and they BOTH leaked (about a drop per 10 seconds from both). Both had to have gobs of RTV to stop the leaks.

I also opened it up again and threw the old gaskets back on and it didn't leak.. I wouldn't replace those gaskets and they cost about $20 per gasket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.