Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who here does them as often as the manual suggests? I called my local dealer about it and he told me that he wouldn't worry about it as long as it was running good and not making any tapping noises. He said I would hear it if they needed to be adjusted and not worry about it until then. So, what do you guys do> Keep in mind, I am not mechanical, all I have is a gravel driveway to work in and I am NOT inclined to try to do this myself :)

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Easy for your local dealer to say that since they don't own your bike. The clearances in SVs get tighter not looser, so hearing them is not a test neither is the bike not running good since there are many things that can cause poor running. I checked mine for the first time at 16K and one intake valve was below spec. Many claim that it's not necessary to go by the book, but just to check the clearances shouldn't cost too much at a shop. You may or not need an adjustment. Engines are like people, no two are alike. You can stretch out the interval, but at some point they should be checked if it's the first time. You can't hear an exhaust valve burning.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
You local dealer is an idiot. That said, the recommended interval becomes less important as the engine ages. First inspection, it's a good idea to get it done on time. Second inspection, less so. Etc. Eventually, the clearances won't change from inspection to inspection, and you can cut back on the frequency.

Search for an independent shop to do the work. I found one that did it for $100 to inspect. The valves were in spec, but the same mechanic quoted me an extra $50 - $100, depending on how much shimming would be needed.

I admit that I did not get my valve clearances inspected on time (first inspection at 30,000 miles). Considering the risk of burning a valve and maybe even destroying the engine, and that the peace of mind of knowing they are okay only cost me $100, I feel a bit foolish for having waited so long.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I am at 20,000 miles, I bought the bike last fall with 11,000 miles and I have no idea if the previous owner(s) had them checked or not. I think I am going to ask around independent shops.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It's a fairly easy procedure to check them yourself :)

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
If you do decide to work on your bike, no matter what the job, lay down a large tarp and roll the bike onto it. Do not work on gravel. You can't believe how hard it is to find a dropped screw, etc in gravel. I used to have the same situation and I would lay down a tarp and a sheet of thin plywood and then roll the bike onto that.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you do decide to work on your bike, no matter what the job, lay down a large tarp and roll the bike onto it. Do not work on gravel. You can't believe how hard it is to find a dropped screw, etc in gravel. I used to have the same situation and I would lay down a tarp and a sheet of thin plywood and then roll the bike onto that.
I know ALL about what it's like to drop a small "anything" on gravel, unfortunately.
I'd have better piece of mind (I am an Iron Maiden fan!) paying someone who knows what they are doing to check it for me. But I was getting a bad vibe from the local Suzuki dealer. I am calling a recommended mechanic tomorrow :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
any links to a how to Im looking at the same tho I have the tap tick after throttle rev. I have air tools and a garage tho I did snap a bolt off the stator cover :(

·
Registered
545 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
ISTR the service interval is 15,000 miles and most folk find the exhaust valves have tightened to close on or less than spec. Three of mine were on the minimum so I re-shimmed them all to within spec, whilst the inlets were all OK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts