Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im approaching 25000km now on me sv,i have heard the sv is rarely out of spec,is it really worth the money to check the valves

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
I would have the first check done,or do it yourself. Mine is still ok at 49k.And 10yrs old :)

S

·
0 Posts
While that's not a lot of Kms on the clock, it's worth checking the valves at the 25K mark. I believe the manual suggests you check them at 16K miles, so you're just barely over the suggested mileage. Checking them now will avoid bigger problems later, and it will ensure the engine is running properly.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
YES. It's not hard to check them or even replace the shims if needed. You don't have to pay anyone. It's an hour job, two at most.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
If you haven't done one, then YES for sure. The first check is the critical check as the valves like to tighten from the factory during break-in.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
nah, it's just suzuki tryin to squeeze you for an extra buck.

and don't change the oil either. it's not like it turns into something else- oil is oil.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
at 25K kilometers I probably wouldn't bother, at 25K miles I definitely would start checking them. What will happen is they will tighten and start to hang valves open. I've never heard of it damaging anything but it will kill your power with no other symptoms, so it's sometimes confusing to diagnose.

Most bikes will require adjustment between 25K and 50K miles.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
I'm with the YES crowd. I'm fairly gentle on my bike....except for a few track days and the last two Rallies.

I only have 16k on my bike, and found 3 shims out, or right at the limits, of spec. I think it's completely worthwhile! Although I'm not sure if it's completely related....I'd been feeling and hearing some oddities in the engine (a little rough)...which seem to now be gone!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
there's as many that need adjustment at the first 15k mile recomendation that don't

the concequences of what can engine damage than can happen from valves out of adjustment is too risky not to check

valves out of adjustment isn't just performance like when you fail to sync your throttle bodies, valves out of adjustment actually cause the seats & stems to burn potentially breaking and going thru the top of a piston

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
there's as many that need adjustment at the first 15k mile recomendation that don't

the concequences of what can engine damage than can happen from valves out of adjustment is too risky not to check

valves out of adjustment isn't just performance like when you fail to sync your throttle bodies, valves out of adjustment actually cause the seats & stems to burn potentially breaking and going thru the top of a piston
fear monger. it's a conspiracy.

:hiding2:

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
+1 I had to adjust all the exhaust valves and one intake valve at 43K.
I bet the bike woul dhave run better if those issues had been attended to sooner.

Or Yellow '04's are just cursed. One of the two:p

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
So, can someone post detail photo's and procedures to perfrom a valve check? If one is out of spec, how difficult is it to fix? Does the cam need to be removed? One or two hours seems really quick for this job.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Wow, great write-up. The cam chain soulds like its a major issue though. Inspection is one thing..doing an adjustment is another.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Wow, great write-up. The cam chain soulds like its a major issue though. Inspection is one thing..doing an adjustment is another.
Not at all. You can mark your chain to make sure that you put the cam back in properly. Everything is very clearly marked though...in the event that you find you need to reset the alginment. The only issue you may have is if you drop the chain into the engine. I think someone last time mentioned zip-ties. I just marked mine with a marker...and put the marker through the chain to prevent it from falling in.

It may take 2-3 hours if you've never taken the bike apart before.

Ah..that was a good write up.

If doesn't list at the top tha tyou might want to but valve cover gaskets and the chain tensioner gaskets. That's really up to you. Finding a place to get shims may also prove to be a challange. Locally, they charge $4.50 for each shim, with the exchange of your existing shim. You can preorder them, but they're $$$ and you may not know what sizes to get until you know how far off spec they are.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts