Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my SV650 in for the first 500 mile service. When I asked the mechanic if they checked the valve clearance, he said this wasn't necessary until 15000 miles. Although this is the recommended interval for valve clearance checking, with previous bikes new bikes of mine, they always checked valve clearance at the first 500 mile maintenance. Is this something unique to the SV650?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think many dealers are just lazy. They charge you as if they checked the valves, but don't actually do it because they think the chances of them needing adjustment after 500 miles is slim. I also have had experiences with a dealer who didn't check valves at first service when I had my Katana. He claimed that I "didn't ride the bike hard enough" to warrant checking them. And he said he saved me money by not checking them. Funny thing is, he charged me about the same amount of money for initial service as 2 other dealers who I went to with different bikes. So I don't believe I saved any money... he was just lazy and didn't want to be bothered checking them.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I agree with your mechanic, to check valve clearance at 500 miles is a waste of time. I'd even be surprised if most people needed an adjustment @ 15k.

·
Registered
41 Posts
kme said:
I just had my SV650 in for the first 500 mile service. When I asked the mechanic if they checked the valve clearance, he said this wasn't necessary until 15000 miles. Although this is the recommended interval for valve clearance checking, with previous bikes new bikes of mine, they always checked valve clearance at the first 500 mile maintenance. Is this something unique to the SV650?
Be happy, when I bought mine they told me that if I didn't have the valves checked at 600 miles it would void my warranty. Then I got home and read the manual. 15,000 is the number. Needless to say, I didn't go there for service again.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
I don't think the schedule according to manual says SV needs clearance check until 15k... that is when I did mine. I don't blame mechanic either for not doing it.

I don't know "anyone" that check their valve clearances that often (500 miles). I think its a waste but if you have the time to do it or the $$$ to pay for it... go ahead... just hope you don't have a VTEC VFR or Ducati 4 valve because those are PITA or costs lots to have this serivice done. Even Ducatis go until 6000 miles before their "scheduled" valve clearance check and i hear most don't need anything then. My SV needed nothing done at 15000 and likely won't get checked again until 25k or I notice a problem.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My new Bandit 1200 requires valve lash check at 600 miles but it is a different valve actuation system than the SV. The SV has shims under the valve lifter whereas the Bandit has a rocker arm type system with screw adjustable lash. Different setups are going to have different adjustment needs. The Bandit also calls for checking every 7,500 vs. 15,000 for the SV.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. My confusion and concern is that I've always been under the impression from dealer mechanics that the engine parts settle in during the intial 500 miles. Thus, it is possible that valves may need adjustment. Personally, I don't see this being true as most engines are CNC machined to very high tolerances. I know cars don't need this kind of service; but, they are different--iron(not all) engine blocks and hydraulic valves. Anyway, I'd appreciate any experience or wisdom on this topic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts