Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY THERE FELLAS, i recently just hit my 7500 mark on my miles, and i was checking on what shops to get my tune up at, and a couple diff shops were giving me diff prices, one was cheaper becuase they said it was not neccasary to do a valve adjustment at 7500 miles, and another charged me more becuase they said it was at 7500 miles were you gotta do a valve adjustment. when do you do your valve adjustments?? at 7500 miles or 11,000 mile??? i have an 07 650 s

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
You don't ever HAVE to do a valve adjustment at any mile marker. You CHECK the valve clearances at intervals and THEN adjust them if necessary.

Check the clearances yourself. I just started doing it last night, but found that I need to get a smaller feeler gauge to complete it.

It's a breeze. Adjusting them, well, that's when it's difficult. You CAN do it yourself, or you can just take it in to have it done and pay upwards of $400...

Discussion on it here.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=91754

Here's the walk through I'm using, and many here have used to do it.

http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/howto/svs_valves/

·
Registered
19 Posts
The valves do not even need to be checked untill 14,000. Then rarely do they need to be adjusted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the helpfull tips. this bike shop wanted to charge me 400 for a tune up becuase they were going to include a valve adjustment..and this other place was charging me 200.00 and they said a valve adj was done at around 14000 to 15000 miles. saved me about 200 bucks

·
Registered
257 Posts
Do a lot of people here take their bike in for each scheduled tune up? Dealership tune ups are BS IMO. Maitinence on these bikes is not hard at all, i recommend doing it yourself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya, i think for my next tune up, im going to learn and do it myself...i mean that is money in my pocket. i started doing my own oil changes.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
If you are going to work on your own bike, get a service manual. The best thing that I ever bought for my bike.

I checked mine at 16K, they were all within tolerances.

·
Registered
856 Posts
whew! i'm closin in on 7k and was not really looking to do a valve adjustment,carb syncing is in my sights for soon.I'm definitely gonna check them myself when it comes around ,then if they need to be done "while i'm in here already",for now i'm still rounding up the money to do my upgrades. Dealers that tell you you need valve adjustments at 7k should be avoided and become recession food, the good honest ones deserve to make it through, that's one way to look at it.Does anyone think dealers would check valves at 7k and tell you they had to be done ,if they didn't, only to check them again and maybe do them at 14, whew! If you were to use the maintenance schedule of a honda civic as a comparison i'd think the quality of motorcycle engines is at least as good, lets say a bike revs twice as much in any mile as your honda does , so valve adjustments should happen twice as often, sure most riders hold their bikes to higher standards,and maintanence, oil changes are even easier, so they'll get done,and all that extends the functioning life of an engine....Just looked it up some people are saying honda valve adjustment is at 105k, that seems a bit lazy or like bragging on honda's part....

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
....Just looked it up some people are saying honda valve adjustment is at 105k, that seems a bit lazy or like bragging on honda's part....

valve adjustment interval recomendations depends on what kind of valve train you have

my old Yamaha XV920R has screw & locknut type adjustment, it has to be checked every 2500 miles, and believe me, it needs adjustment almost every interval

bikes with shim under bucket design like the SV are generally recommended every 15,000±, my nekid 99 was checked every 15, and needed it's first adjustment @ 75, and second @ 120k, but it's just as common to need adjustment at the first inspection interval

goldwings, harleys, buells have hydraulic valve lifters like most cars, I wasn't aware they ever had to be adjusted, but every 105k is never for most people

valve lash inspection is one of the most important routine maintenance items, other tasks can be let go and the only thing that will happen is poor performance, valves out of adjustment however will damage your engine is short order ending in a huge repair bill even if you do your own work. and if you wait for valves to affect your performance before you adjust them, it's already too late, your seats & possibly valve stems are burnt

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
I am about to make a thread about mine.

Just checked them for the first time at 19,500 miles. All are at the min tolerance but one is below it.. time for tear down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts