Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have the SV650 2009 and the bike is 90000 KM on it, i'm pretty sure that no body did valve adjustment, i have some tiking noise from the rear cylinder, and i think it's because of the adjustment, so i saw some videos how to do it, no problem, but, i need to order the shims before i take it apart, where do i buy a good one? how do i know which shims do i need? any tips...? thank you!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hi and welcome. The ticking is more likely to be from the camchain, because on SVs, the valve clearance gets smaller over time as the components wear. So it is unlikely that the valves are making the noise. However, SVs are notorious for their camchain 'ticking.'

What happens is, the automatic camchain tensioner has a ratchet mechanism with 'teeth' to stop it loosening off. As the camchain wears, it makes a ticking noise until the slack in the chain is enough for the tensioner to move out to the next tooth. Then, when the tensioner clicks out one tooth, the ticking will stop.

If your bike starts easily and quickly when the engine is cold then the clearances are probably close to OK. It is easy to remove the valve covers and check the clearances. If they are OK, no problem. If they need adjusting, THEN you can order the shims.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi, i have the SV650 2009 and the bike is 90000 KM on it, i'm pretty sure that no body did valve adjustment, i have some tiking noise from the rear cylinder, and i think it's because of the adjustment, so i saw some videos how to do it, no problem, but, i need to order the shims before i take it apart, where do i buy a good one? how do i know which shims do i need? any tips...? thank you!
I agree with Craig - usually normal to hear the chain on an SV. As far as shims, you can buy individual shims (you'll have to check clearances first) or buy a kit. Intake should be between .10mm - .20mm and Ex should be between .20mm - 30mm if I can recall correctly. Reference the SV manual and take your time. Its not too bad of a job. May take you an entire day the first time. I did my last valve adjustment using the following shim kit:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi and welcome. The ticking is more likely to be from the camchain, because on SVs, the valve clearance gets smaller over time as the components wear. So it is unlikely that the valves are making the noise. However, SVs are notorious for their camchain 'ticking.'

What happens is, the automatic camchain tensioner has a ratchet mechanism with 'teeth' to stop it loosening off. As the camchain wears, it makes a ticking noise until the slack in the chain is enough for the tensioner to move out to the next tooth. Then, when the tensioner clicks out one tooth, the ticking will stop.

If your bike starts easily and quickly when the engine is cold then the clearances are probably close to OK. It is easy to remove the valve covers and check the clearances. If they are OK, no problem. If they need adjusting, THEN you can order the shims.
Tha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the answer!! I’m appreciate it!
i have this noise about 400km, so it’s need to stop by him self until the tooth will get to the point, or i can do my self to help it get to there?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts