Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I checked my tappet clearence a couple months ago with almost 30k miles on the engine it was all within spec. Otherwise, adjustment would be neccesary, which includes the joy of pulling internal parts out of your engine. As long as you read up on what you have to do step by step it isn't that hard to check. It's basically what you would do for changing the sparkplugs, then remove the gas tank for some more room. Remove the covers carefully(hit with rubber mallet if needed) and don't tear the gaskets when removing them. Again, be sure you know which is front, rear, intake, exhaust, and TDC when doing this. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
bonemarrow said:
can someone tell me how hard it is to adjust the valves on a 03 650?? PLEASE!
the easy way.... go to your regular job, and earn $300-$400 doing what you know how to do best, and pay your dealer,

if you do it yourself, remember to let the bike sit overnite so that you have cold valves, if you have a dealer do it, drop it off the nite before.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
RandyO said:
if you do it yourself, remember to let the bike sit overnite so that you have cold valves,  if you have a dealer do it, drop it off the nite before.
Why do you say that, Randy? I've never done valves on a motorcycle but I have done them on cars. On a car engine, optimally, the valve clearances are checked when hot (or very warm at least). There are often measurements given for cold and warm checks that adjust for the expansion and contraction of the metals at at different temperatures.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
you prolly talkin about cars with hydraulic lifters, anyways, specs are for cold clearances, just like tire pressure specs are for cold tires

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
RandyO said:
you prolly talkin about cars with hydraulic lifters, anyways, specs are for cold clearances, just like tire pressure specs are for cold tires 
No. I did have one car with hydraulic lifters but I never adjusted the valves on that one. Another one I did do was my '81 280ZXT: solid lifters.
Obviously, it's easier to check when cold: 1. It's easier to touch and 2. You don't have to do it super fast as when hot - temperature constantly changing.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
the only car I ever adjusted the valves in was a VW Beetle (not one of the new ones) if you adjusted the valves hot the would clatter, excess clearance can cause unnecessary cam wear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts