Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 with 16000 miles on it and I am wondering if the valves really need to be checked. I see and hear of alot of motorcycle with many miles on them that have never had them adjusted, and these are bikes that do not have self adjusting valves. I even have a friend with a Goldwing who has 60k on his and has never touched them. I hate dealers and my bike has been babied. If I were really reving it up maybe I could see it. What' s the real skinny on this.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Like Zoran says... There's a really good chance you don't need it, SVs are pretty stable... But if you do need it, you'll regret not checking (or having it checked).

It's not difficult to do yourself if you're at all handy, though actually adjusting it if you need it is slightly more of a hassle (since you won't know what shims you need till you do it, at which point you've got the heads off the bike... All you need is regular tools and a set of feeler gauges.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Whoops, mispoke. Top of the heads, I meant to say- valve covers. Good catch. Still, you've got enough stuff off the bike that you can't ride to the shops to get new shims, was my point.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Too loose, no problem. Too tight, big problem. Pull the covers, follow the shop manual procedure for measuring clearance. If they are just a tad loose or in spec you're good to go. If they are too tight then start shimming. Too tight valve clearance will lose you some performance and eventually you'll burn the seats and the valves.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Gentlemen for your replies. pretty much what I expected. By the looks of the top end of this engine it appears to be a bucket and shim setup. Where is the best place to get the shims if I have a tight one? I would rather be beaten with a rubber hose than go to a dealer. I had a Honda 1100F if any of you remember that beast and the dealer reamed me on that job. I'm a pretty fair mechanic and I'm no worried about checking the slack. I assume you rotate the engine counter clock wise util TDC and check to clearence.
Thanks again.
PS If you have not ridden some of our roads in east Tennessee like the Dragon and US 421. I would like to encourage you to put that on your to do list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts