Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's around time for it. What am I expected to pay for adjusting the valves specially in Boston area.RandyO I think you live in NH where labor charges tend to be more reasonable.How about your shop?

Is it really difficult to adjust the valves?I am ok fallowing directions.I rebuilt my calipers,installed new seals but never attempted to work on the engine..After installing the fork seals I felt lot of what I read about it seemed more complicated then actually doing it so I am hoping similar results if the shops seem out of reach price wise.

N

·
0 Posts
Checking them is pretty simple, adjusting them is somewhat more involved. You might consider doing the clearance check yourself, and taking it in if adjustment is needed. The SV seems to hold it's clearances pretty well; odds are in favor than you won't need an adjustment.

:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nc_sv650 said:
Checking them is pretty simple, adjusting them is somewhat more involved. You might consider doing the clearance check yourself, and taking it in if adjustment is needed. The SV seems to hold it's clearances pretty well; odds are in favor than you won't need an adjustment.

As I understand it I need to take the cylinder heads out to check them correct?and I need a filler gouge.I read the SV service manual but if you can recommend a manual which explains this procedure better it would be great.

N

·
0 Posts
Not the cylinder heads, just the valve covers but you'll need to remove the airbox, carbs and (maybe) radiator to get to them. I only have the Suzi manual, so I can't recommend a better one.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Suzi manual says remove cylinder head covers and you say valve covers. I am sure they are talking about the same thing but thanks anyway for being sharp. ;)
I am not clear(pl bare with me first time) which valves are EX,IN the manual is not clear on this.Also the manual says remove the spark plugs.Do I have to?

·
Registered
737 Posts
The exhaust valves will be on the side of the cylinder that has the exhaust header coming out of it. The other side is intake.

Removing the spark plug will be the easiest thing to do in this whole process. Go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nc_sv650 said:
Not the cylinder heads, just the valve covers but you'll need to remove the airbox, carbs and (maybe) radiator to get to them. I only have the Suzi manual, so I can't recommend a better one.

I read on other forums where few have done it without removing the carbs,airbox yes but carb?It seems unnecessary unless I am missing something.
here is post from s650org site
The rear cover comes straight off with the tank lifted. The front one is a bit of a pain but removing the right hand bolt front the top rad mount as well as the bottom one allows the cover to come off.
Never even considered touching the carbs.

N

·
0 Posts
I didn't give it too much thought actually. I was going into the carbs anyway so I had 'em off. The area around the front valve cover is tight anyway, so pulling the carbs buys you a little more elbow room / light. But it's nice to know you don't have to if you don't want to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts