Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok bought the bike with gas in the tank, took the carbs out, cleaned them. Now the bike runs fine as long as you are just sitting there but when I go to ride it, it kicks, sputters and dies.

I'm thinking vacuum but I'm new to the whole carb thing.

thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
How did you clean them?

Its possible that an air passage or pilot jet is still clogged. When cleaning these things out they have to be totally disassembled and soaked, all passages blown out with compressed air. Check the pilot jets first, you may get lucky.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm about to jet them so I'll go back through them. As I said I am kinda new to this but I check the post and pretty much followed that. But didn't have any compressed air.

It will sputter so much it will die. That's what makes me thinks it's a vacuum. I was thinking that the pull from the engine will make it more prevalent (sp).

·
Registered
33 Posts
If its a vacuum issue, then the slide isnt opening. Try running it in the garage with the airbox off and see if the slide moves when you rev the motor, if you can.

How did you clean them up the first time? May help to know.

I would bet a little money on clogged fuel jets - most carbs you can pull the jets out, soak 'em and blow them out (if you dont have compressed air then get a can of the stuff at an office store) and the bike will run just fine after sitting for a long time. Make sure you clean all the fuel residue out of the carb bowl. I use simple green for cleaning/soaking.

Good luck.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uh oh... Took the airbox off and put my hand over the carbs....... Front one liked to suck my hand threw it. Back one........ practicallly nothing.

Sucks cause I have a trackday next weekend......

No compression?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its probably fine. Take them off, take the jets out, clean everything up. Get some compressed air in a can, you'll need it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
No compression?
Or you have one hell of a vacuum leak. Is the rear carb seated properly in it's boot? Is it correctly tightened down? All the hoses connected to it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Vacuum leaks can be found by spraying a little WD 40 around where you think a leak exists. If the idle goes up slightly then you have a leak. Sounds like you should do a compression check on the rear cylinder; pretty easy to do and equipment not expensive.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Vacuum leaks can be found by spraying a little WD 40 around where you think a leak exists. If the idle goes up slightly then you have a leak. Sounds like you should do a compression check on the rear cylinder; pretty easy to do and equipment not expensive.
Honestly, I've never had this method of finding a vacuum leak work...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts