Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one else had a problem with the vacum cap on the bottom of the front carb drying out and splitting. I have had to replace mine about every season and I can't find any silicone vacum caps

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yes, I have. I bought some oem ones from ronayers.com so I didn't look for a cheaper replacement. I put a small amount of vaseline on the outside of mine last time and it seems to be helping.

I'm not sure if mine are really drying out. I tend to do carb syncs pretty regularly and I think taking it off and putting it back on repeatedly may actually be causing the problem. I think I'm going to extend it and use a valve of some sort on the end next time to make it easier to do the sync and to help eliminate this problem.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
If you goop your next new one up with silicone it will help keep the atmosphere from attacking it.

Alternatively, what I did was use a piece of vacuum hose ~1' long and ran it out with the wiring harness by the neck. It's bundled with the wires and is basically invisible. I put a bolt in the end of the hose so it doesn't leak vacuum. The reason I did this was to make synchronizing the carbs easy ;)

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Randy S said:
Yes, I have.  I bought some oem ones from ronayers.com so I didn't look for a cheaper replacement.  I put a small amount of vaseline on the outside of mine last time and it seems to be helping.

I'm not sure if mine are really drying out.  I tend to do carb syncs pretty regularly and I think taking it off and putting it back on repeatedly may actually be causing the problem.  I think I'm going to extend it and use a valve of some sort on the end next time to make it easier to do the sync and to help eliminate this problem.
Petroleum based stuff will cause it to dry out and crack faster, I'd suggest silicone based.

I completely agree with them cracking from taking them on and off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts