Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first SV a little over a week ago. Is it just me, or should all sport bikes sound like a V-twin engine? The sound is so addicting, I just keep wanting to blip the throttle every time I ride! Let me know what you think!! ?

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
MOTORADOR
10,958 Posts
I don't care what other bikes sound like as long as my bikes sound V2.

·
MOTORADOR
10,958 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
I like the sound of V-twins. I also like the sound of my inline 4.

·
Hall Monitor
2,739 Posts
Depends on the V twin. Narrow-angle twins don't do it for me. A nice 90 degree twin (often referred to an an L twin), on the other hand... :rock:

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Mine sounds better than all of yours. ;D

·
Registered
723 Posts
Honda Superhawk with TBR cans, near the pinnacle of V twin sound.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Twins do sound nice. But I-4s also can sound really good IMO. A naturally aspirated engine running 14K+ RPM is a thing of beauty :)

·
Registered
920 Posts
There is a certain je ne sais quoi to the "perfect" degree'd twins, the 45 degree and 90 degree twins just seem to echo a certain "harmonic" sound that resonates beautifully to my ear also.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
The only I-4 i've only ever enjoyed the sound of is modern R1's with aftermarket pipes. Deep, burly, thunderous, wonderful... But then it revs to 15k and sounds almost like all others but not quite

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
818 Posts
Years ago, one of the car mags did a study article on engine sounds from both a scientific and musical perspective, to try to understand/explain why some engines sound better to us than others. I don't remember much of the detail, but that 6's and 12's tended to be more harmonically pleasing. 4's and 8's were a bit more discordant. Very few 1,2, or 3-cylinder cars are made, and none were in the test. I don't recall if this was before the Viper was released, and don't recall if they analyzed the V10.

I understand that HD tried to patent the 45d V-twin sound and failed, and many manufacturers have copied it, and others have played around with crankpin offset looking for sound as well as power. Bank angle and crankpin offset have a lot to do with the effect.

IMHO, there is both the "music" side of the beat, as well as personal history. I was raised around "Johnny Putt Putts" (John Deere 2-cyl tractors), and big-block V-8's. I love the sounds of almost all engines. NASCAR V-8's and supercharged monster trucks are wonderful - especially with earplugs.

The pipe selection has a great deal to do with the sound. The early 4-into-4 Honda's sounded way different that the later 4-1, or even 4-2 bikes. The flat-4 GoldWings have a nice sound under throttle, sort of reminiscent of a V-8. I loved the idle of the early V-4 Honda's, especially the Sabre. Not bad at speed, but the idle was something special. I could go on and on... As I said, I love the sound of engines, especially fast/powerful ones. :) How was it put in one of the car magazines from my youth? "The hammer-heavy beat of a big V-8 taking care of business.", IIRC.

Having said all that, the best-sounding bike engine/exhaust I've ever heard belonged to my CBX (inline 6 - 6 into 2 pipes). The new BMW 6 is close, but nothing can (for me) match the song of the CBX.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
At idle, my SV sounds similar to my old Ford Ranchero's 460 did breathing through a 4>1 w/H-pipe dual system.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I loved the Ferrari V12 F1 cars of the early 90s. The V10 powered cars were wonderful too.

This is just pure sex.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts