Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to ride my '08 SV650 Naked on gravel/fire-roads sometimes...

Anyone have recommendations for tires for a balance of sporty touring and 10% off-pavement? Something along the lines of V-Strom riding...

SV650 tire sizes are 120/60/17 and 160/60/17 IIRRC.

(By the way, my off-pavement riding will be exploration, not aggressive... I just need something that will keep me from sliding all over the place.)

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I'd like to ride my '08 SV650 Naked on gravel/fire-roads sometimes...

Anyone have recommendations for tires for a balance of sporty touring and 10% off-pavement? Something along the lines of V-Strom riding...

SV650 tire sizes are 120/60/17 and 160/60/17 IIRRC.

(By the way, my off-pavement riding will be exploration, not aggressive... I just need something that will keep me from sliding all over the place.)
Get some super motard tyres. I think they are in the sv stock sizes.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
There are a few options:

1. Avon Distanzia's. Great tire, last a decent amount of miles. They are a "supermotard" tire, and are a softer compound for the 120/60 160/60 radial sizes.

2. Pirelli MT60's. Nice tire, but man are they sticky and wear quickly. Hence why I like the Distanzia's better.

I run the Distanzia's on my Uly.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
options are as already mentioned

Distanzias & MTR60-corsas

both are soft compounds, distanzias will last longer and are better on the street, MTR60s better in gravel and excellent wet tire but get greasey on dry pavement except in winter

I ended up running Azaro STs in summer cause motard tires needed to be replaced every 1000 (mtr60s )-3000 miles (distanzias), on cold pavement in winter, I was able to get 3500-5000 miles out of the mtr60s and they will get warm even in sub zero weather

routine on my SV was April-October I ran Azaro STs and November-March MTR60-Corsas

I did meet a fellow SVr once that was running Avon Extreme Wets with about the same results I had with the MTR60s

MTR60-Corsa

Distanzia

Avon Pro Extreme

Avon Pro Extremes also come in 180 rears

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
if your not doing anything aggressive, a regular street sport touring tire will work fine

·
Registered
128 Posts
I didn't seee them mentioned..i ran michilin anakees on my KLR..nice street/gravel road tire( 90/10)..that sticks nicely in the wet..I'm not sure if they come in SV size....????? Tom

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
The problem is the 120/60 and 160/60 sizes. You will be hard pressed to find anything besides mentioned.

Pirelli Scorpions don't come in the 160/60 sizes. Neither do the Conti Trail Attacks. Those are made for 19" front ends. You can add them to the rear (150 width though...)

The Avon Distanzia's for me on the Uly (it's heavier, higher HP more torque) last around 5~6k on the rear and 11k on the front.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The problem is the 120/60 and 160/60 sizes. You will be hard pressed to find anything besides mentioned.

Pirelli Scorpions don't come in the 160/60 sizes. Neither do the Conti Trail Attacks. Those are made for 19" front ends. You can add them to the rear (150 width though...)

The Avon Distanzia's for me on the Uly (it's heavier, higher HP more torque) last around 5~6k on the rear and 11k on the front.
they Do come in 120/70 and 160/60

(that's my dims) http://www.pirellityre.com/web/catalog/moto/moto_catalogo_schedaDescription.page

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts

Distanzias in SV size are softer compound (for motards) than in the adventure bike & dual sport sizes, I really didn't like the set that I ran on my SV, they were a great dry pavement sport tire that were only ok in wet and not much better than a regular sport touring tire on gravel

Scorpoin MT90s don't come in SV sizes, but Scorpion Sync's do

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I didn't seee them mentioned..i ran michilin anakees on my KLR..nice street/gravel road tire( 90/10)..that sticks nicely in the wet..I'm not sure if they come in SV size....????? Tom
Anakees don't come in SV sizes

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
and I might add, you won't find any fronts in a 120/60-17, they will be a 120/70-17

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Ahhh so they do. They must have added them recently (and by recently I mean with in a year). They are a decent tire, but STINK on anything besides hard pack dirt and street. For gravel, they are just as bad as running a street tire.

Distanzias in SV size are softer compound (for motards) than in the adventure bike & dual sport sizes, I really didn't like the set that I ran on my SV, they were a great dry pavement sport tire that were only ok in wet and not much better than a regular sport touring tire on gravel

Scorpoin MT90s don't come in SV sizes, but Scorpion Sync's do
For my Uly I run the 120/70 and 160/60 (SV sizes) without an issue. Like I said, I get decent mileage and performance out of them. Rain wise, I would agree, they are just okay. The Dunlop D616's were better in the rain (but in 120/70 & 180/55 sizes).

The Mt60's are really the best tire for mild off-roading, problem is as Randy stated...you'll be hard pressed to get decent life out of them.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
The Mt60's are really the best tire for mild off-roading, problem is as Randy stated...you'll be hard pressed to get decent life out of them.

yup, I found out it was a lot of money to spend, only to wear a set out in less than a week, but, if you want to drag a knee in the rain, they're the tire to have

freezing cold pavement, they are great, life is reasonable and they warm up,
on a loose gravel surface where you will slide completely across your lane with a sport youring tire, with the mtr60s, you'll track within a foot or two but as I already posted, if your not going to do anything aggressive on gravel, a regular sport touring tire will be fine

1 - 20 of 25 Posts