Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a pretty small hand, besides I park my bike on the street so they can easily get stolen I guess. Are they waterproof btw?
Thinking about Gerbing's gloves/liners too. Don't like the idea of connectinm myself every time..

·
Registered
23 Posts
the downside of these aerostitch grips is getting stolen due to the fact that Velcro is used to secure them onto the bars. also these grips are not waterproof...probably best to use glove liners if its pouring "cats and dogs". Jastek engineering has a bmw connector for easy off/on useage.

·
Registered
132 Posts
grigory76 said:
I have a pretty small hand, besides I park my bike on the street so they can easily get stolen I guess. Are they waterproof btw?
Thinking about Gerbing's gloves/liners too. Don't like the idea of connectinm myself every time..
I just bought the Gerbings after going thru last season with oxford heated grips. I can say that the heated gloves are far superior and feel much better than the oxford oversized grips. You spend more time riding than you do disconnecting the gloves so it isn't that big a deal. The wires hanging off are a little strange too, but believe me it is well worth it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am seriously considering Gerbing's gloves, it's just this wiring hassle that bothers me. I do 30 min commute trips mostly, I think maybe heated grips would better suit me for this.
Does V-strom have the same handlebar as SV? I wonder if those heated grips can be installed on SV without a problem...

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
They should certainly fit, bar sizes are pretty standard. They may be different legthwise but that can be worked about. On the other hand, though, chances are SVs don't have the plug that's mentioned there. I can't get that link to work just now, my ISP seems to be having some problems, but the other thing to consider is that these tend to be more expensive than an equivalent 3rd party products. I'd recommend the Oxford Hotgrips (NOT the Hothands which wrap around, but the Hotgrips which replace the standard grips) to anyone, as long as you're careful not to buy old stock- the newer ones have insulation on the inside to make them work better with alloy bars.

Heated gloves are better from the point of view of keeping your hands warm, no doubt about that at all. But they also restrict your glove choice (unless you use glove liners, which I've always found uncomfortable). And I once saw a buy drag his scooter over by plugging in then forgetting and walking off :)

The main edge that the grips have is that they're always there. If you go out for a ride in the middle of summer and get caught in a rain storm, or ride up to high altitudes, you're not likely to have your heated gloves- but you'll always have your grips.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was reading reviews on Oxford grips yeaterday and they were pretty bad. Someone said the temp. controller rusted and broke in a month or 2, others were saying some other negative things. I am not sure about them, but the price seems to be good. Hot Grips seem to be the best 3rd party ones, but their price is close to Suzuki OEMs

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Hot grips are the same cost as all teh other heated grips here, maybe you're getting stung by your importer? As for the box going south, i've heard that too... Always with people who fit the box with the switch facing up, in an exposed position, though. Mine was fine for a long time, I've just removed it entirely to go with a simple on/off switch though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I forgot to mention that one of the oxford grips stopped working. I would'nt buy them. I commute 30 minutes and believe me in 20 degree weather at 60 miles an hour your hands get cold real quick. I can say after riding for 25 years in cold weather that my gerbings are the best cold weather mod I have made. There is nothing worse or dangerous than cold hands that don't react properly. The Gerbings have a lifetime warranty on the heating elements and the leather is the softest I have seen for a riding glove. The wires are just like anything else, you get used to them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rompus, are you talking about G3 gloves or the classic ones? The classic gloves can be had for much less than the new G3 now, so I wonder if G3 are so much better and worth buying compared to classics

·
Registered
132 Posts
grigory76 said:
Rompus, are you talking about G3 gloves or the classic ones? The classic gloves can be had for much less than the new G3 now, so I wonder if G3 are so much better and worth buying compared to classics
I bought the classics. I don't think there would be a difference in heating. All I know is that the classics work great, if they were any warmer my hand would sweat.

·
Registered
132 Posts
grigory76 said:
Are you using a heat controller or it's good enough w/o it?
How much did you get them for? ebay sells them new for 109 + $12 shipping.
No heat controller. I think it's fine without it. Be careful about where you buy. The warranty is only good if you buy from an authorized dealer or the web site. Also shipping was slow. I am on the east coast so it had to travel far, took about 10 days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.