Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Electrical Problem Tach and Signals

Today on my commute home I went to use my right turn signal and nothing happened. I figured that it was just a blown fuse,
so I went to replace it. The fuse is fine so I restarted the bike and the left turn signal works. When I try to turn the right turn
signal on, the neutral light shuts off, and the tach drops to zero. These are both momentarily off before they come back up
again. Has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it? My bike is my only form of transportation currently because my
truck needs a rebuild so I really can't afford for it to go down. Thank you in advance for your help.

-Brendan Mackay

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
The signal relay is part of and within the sidestand relay switch. One black unit, but separate circuits. Perhaps something is amiss within the relay. I don't know why this just happens for the right side and not the left or why the tach signal is being affected since that comes from the front coil. I almost can understand why the neutral light is affected since it's part of the sidestand safety switch circuit. Someone else on the forum had I believe a similar problem some time ago, but I don't know if the issue was ever resolved or posted. Not much help I know.

I wonder if the problem is within the gauge itself?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if that is the case too. I'm just hoping that it isn't something major thats electrical that'll blow the whole harness and some parts.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Trust RMAN, I bought a second hand relay as a spare and it did the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle - I can't believe my iPhone can use a Motorcycle

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
You might want to make some calls to local mechanics for their input. Do you have DMV inspection for bikes where you live? They test signals. I don't know if this will get worse and cause other problems, but something is causing this that should eventually be found and corrected. I just don't know other than using a meter and try to trace where the power is and isn't when using the right signal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I was afraid of. My commute to school is very bumpy which leads me to believe that a wire knocked loose in my guage cluster. I normally use hand signals to begin with so not using the signal is fine with me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Slight Update, When I was at 7k RPM i hit the turn signal just to see what would happen, and the signal worked properly. Lower RPMs the problem is the same as before.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I spoke to a friend of mine who is an electrical engineer about your issue. He wants to look at the wiring diagram I have for the SV, but he thinks this is most probably a physical or mechanical connection problem, maybe through the grounding of the turn signal or the gauge itself. You may have a situation where power is going to both sides of the circuit, from the power side as well as a short to ground turning off the tach and idiot light. He said to try this test to shed some light as to what is happening. Remove both bulbs from the right side signals, front and rear and then energize the right side turn signal via the switch. If the tach and neutral light stay on, then you know at least where to look next since the bulbs are no longer completing the circuit. Could be a grounding issue in the socket of one of the right signals or maybe a common ground connection to the gauge. Worth a try.I Would like to know if this test changes the issue for you.

A possible reason why the tach works okay at the higher rpm is that there is greater power and signal. More power from the stator and a greater signal to the tach. Might just be a corrosion issue, not a loose wire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very much. I normally just use hand signals when I ride, but the day I discovered this problem was when I had a cop following me. I'll try to test it tomorrow if I have the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this problem a while back. I never figured out the source but also found that my kickstand switch had a bare area that occasionally made contact with the frame and shorted. After fixing the side stand switch I never had the tach drop/blinker. Just a personal anecdote

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Little bit of an update. I let my bike sit for about two days and the cover tore off when it rained and leaked on the bike(10th-12th). I repaired my truck and had to run off some 4 month old gas which was why I didn't ride. I rode it everyday since then and just trying the signals today for fun, they both operate completely fine. I don't know what the problem was/is but it seems not to be affecting it anymore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts