Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good idea, bad idea?? I see nothing on the can that suggests it is bad for seals or O-rings. Just electrical connections need to be watched for and not sprayed. Any help? It does a hell of a job on carb gunk so...........

·
Registered
97 Posts
What brand of carb cleaner? It would be wise to look up the MSDS to see what's in it. Carb/FI cleaners are mostly naptha, which is relatively safe for most rubber products.

·
Registered
667 Posts
safe for rubber? maybe it's the brand I am using, but mine MELTS rubber on contact

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Use acetone...thats good shit. Oh yeah and don't wear gloves.

·
Registered
26 Posts
DO NOT USE CARB CLEANER!!!!!!!

It eats plastic, rubber, paint, etc etc.

Use kerosene, or even brake parts cleaner...both are safe.

·
Registered
752 Posts
TRaGiK said:
brake parts cleaner
Awesome! I was thinking about that yesterday and testing it little. Advertised to clean up chain wax overspray and grease, and fast-drying enough to work well. I was gonna ask if it was ok.

Random, but how about lighter fluid!? Have lolts left over from the 4th I don't need. Pretty similar to kerosene or no? I really have no idea on that one.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Just use a can of ether with a lit cigarette hanging from your lips and an open flame nearby.

Shouldn't be a problem. :wink:

WD40 or Kerosene. Anything else (IMHO) is a risk not worth taking.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Ruefus said:
Just use a can of ether with a lit cigarette hanging from your lips and an open flame nearby.

Shouldn't be a problem. :wink:

WD40 or Kerosene. Anything else (IMHO) is a risk not worth taking.
Nope were gonna try to reinvent the wheel and keep trying to reinvent it till we've tried every combination to make it rounder then it is now!!!

:roll:

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
And if you use kerosene, you can recycle the old dirty used stuff by filling glass bottles and sticking a rags in the opening to make another "useful item" :idea:

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Sprays very messy

I find using spray cleaners quite messy. I've never used one on chain but when I use BraKleen on various brake parts it gets crud flying every where. I use newspaper to keep the crud under control.

On recycling kerosene, you can let dirty kerosene settle out (NOT in glass containers, please) and use the clean stuff on top for future chain cleanings.

A

·
0 Posts
You guys ever look in a carb? Lots of rubber seals and o-rings in them. If carb cleaner ate this stuff up would they really advertise it for carbs? Just a question.

I'm no expert at all on this subject. I used chemtool B12 from Berryman's. I've been using it for years as a general parts cleaner. If it destroys my chain... oh well. It is already stretched to its service limit at 19K miles so it'll have to be replaced soon anyway :p

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Disassemble

Carburetor cleaners are meant for carbs that have been disassembled. Also, there is precious little rubber or plastic in the throat of carburetors. Anyway, why use something that is nasty and relatively expensive in place of something that is cheap and safe for the bike? I suppose there are many chemicals that would work, but why bother?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts