Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a replacement fuel tank for my 07 that was recently damaged. I purchased the bike in CA and assumed it was a CA bike, but apparently it wasn't, as I just realized the tank is a non CA tank (i.e. only two drain holes). However I already purchases a new CA tank. So my question is what is the best way to handle it?

My understanding is that the third nipple vents gases from within the tank and routes them through a vapor recovery system for emissions purposes.
Since I don't have that system, should I just plug the nipple? Or do I still need it to vent the tank via this nipple and I should just route a hose out and down like the other vent hoses? What I don't get is since the non-CA tanks don't have this nipple, how do they vent? I've read that the fuel caps are different between CA and non-CA models (and this accounts for venting in non-CA bikes), but comparing to my friend's CA bike, they seem to be identical.

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
The vent is at the cap right? You could just run a hose down to where the vapor recovery canister would be and just let it vent into the atmosphere.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nobody else? I have search and read some threads, but there always seem to be some debate. Most common advice is to plug the EVAP nipple, but I just wanna make sure it's safe and that the tank can still vent.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I'm no expert for a 2nd gen, but on a non CA tank, the venting is through a small hole in the hinge of the filler cap. On CA tanks, this hole is plugged with maybe an orange plug. Not sure about 2nd gens as I've stated, but for 1gens, the non CA tank only has one nipple on the bottom of the tank for the water drain hose, not two. Two nipples would indicate a CA tank. Does your new CA tank actually have three nipples on the bottom of the tank? Sounds like your orig. tank is a CA tank. If you plug the vent nipple, you will not have venting if the cap is a CA cap.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Here is the layout for the CA tank and EVAP for a 1gen. Don't know if the 2nd gen is different. You do live in CA, right? I think your first tank is a CA tank.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Yes. Just plug the vapor line...but be sure to use the original gas cap which is vented. I have just the same setup on mine at the moment...CA tank plugged with 49 State vented cap. Works as you'd expect, and no fumes or smell when parked...which can happen if you DIY vent the CA cap.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm no expert for a 2nd gen, but on a non CA tank, the venting is through a small hole in the hinge of the filler cap. On CA tanks, this hole is plugged with maybe an orange plug. Not sure about 2nd gens as I've stated, but for 1gens, the non CA tank only has one nipple on the bottom of the tank for the water drain hose, not two. Two nipples would indicate a CA tank. Does your new CA tank actually have three nipples on the bottom of the tank? Sounds like your orig. tank is a CA tank. If you plug the vent nipple, you will not have venting if the cap is a CA cap.
Yes, my new has 3 nipples- the 2nd gen tanks have 2 nipples on non-CA and 3 on CA tanks.

You should be fine in using a CA tank in non-CA 2nd gen, just plug the third outlet...
Yes. Just plug the vapor line...but be sure to use the original gas cap which is vented. I have just the same setup on mine at the moment...CA tank plugged with 49 State vented cap. Works as you'd expect, and no fumes or smell when parked...which can happen if you DIY vent the CA cap.

Great, this is what I did. Ran it yesterday without any pressure issues or gasoline odors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts