Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a drop in the use of the photo album we have implemented here... is this due to lack of knowledge for use or do our users simply not know it exists? The link is found on the main nav of the site at the top of svrider.com

Let me know. Always looking for ways to make this a better place for all.

Cheers,
-Rob

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think it is due to the length of time that it takes for the photo to become live. Few people use it to display their bikes. Mostly people just want it hosted for the board.

There are a bunch of quicker easier options. :?

·
Registered
476 Posts
ronlarimer said:
I think it is due to the length of time that it takes for the photo to become live. Few people use it to display their bikes. Mostly people just want it hosted for the board.

There are a bunch of quicker easier options. :?
100% in agreement

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think it could be very useful. Like if i read a post from someone who says he/she did some mod, has a certain kind of belly pan, etc. I'd like to see what it looks like...

To be honest, I didn't even know how to get to the photo album. I've seem some board where you can click on an icon next to a person's post and it will bring you to their photos. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
If you're thinking about dumping the photo album, I'd say go for it. There are plenty of free hosting sites on the net that are just as to find and use (and easier) than the photo album here.

I'd say ditch the bandwidth and storage that all those photos take and put the money into vBulletin software (better features, including search). Only problem would be converting all these threads to the vBulletin database, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to write software or find software to do that with.

It'd be less of a hassle for you with the better security measures in place. Also, it would provide many of the features posters have been asking for.

You could even use the money save to invest in a classifieds service. My local board uses PhotoPost Classifieds 2.0. This would allow you to charge for classifieds to help make money to pay for the software and hosting costs. It doesn't have to be much, maybe a $1 for bikes and $0.50 for gear. Posting a want ad can be free. It's certainly cheaper than listing something on eBay or the local paper and you remove some clutter from the forums.

·
Registered
176 Posts
+1 on everything except for the classified charging.

the classifieds are one of the reasons i'm on this site everyday (more like every hour) :lol: i'm sure i'm not the only one in this boat, so it definitely drives traffic to the site. charging would only decrease the amount of FS items being posted, and subsequently, traffic to the site. traffic drives AD/site sponsorship revenue...

now, if the site actually needs money to stay afloat or for continual maintenance/upgrades, then i'm sure many would be able to send funds rather than see it pass by the wayside.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
I thought the photo album was already gone. Haven't been able to access it from work for a while now. I don't try at home since I'm still dial up :cry: I liked it and enjoyed looking through it to see other members bikes in a central location, but if it is a cost issue, chop it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not a cost thing but an ease of use thing. I check the photo album every day and all photos are live each night. If you mean time to become live as in 30 seconds then that just can't happen as it is a manual function.

The problem with the bulletin board photos as I see it is that without mod's checking what is being posted we end up with a lot more wasted bandwidth as people start posting whatever they feel like.

The current photo album is tied into the board in the sense that your current user ID and password are what is used to post photos. We are moving to new bulletin board software in the next week or so and I hope to integrate the photo software into it a bit better.

As far as classifieds go there are the ones located on this board but also the software we use in the main site. I don't think charging for ad placement would be well received.

If you know of any better software I am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
admin said:
We are moving to new bulletin board software in the next week or so and I hope to integrate the photo software into it a bit better.
That's good to hear. Though I think that guys that produce phpbb have done a wonderful job, there's only so much you can do with free open source software.

Does this mean the site is receiving a makeover? If I may suggest something, having threads selected from various forums displayed on the mainpage might be useful (maybe have it update on the hour?) - something like SoCalSV has. The first few times I found SVRider.com, I had no idea that the forums were even there, and absolutely clueless to how useful they are.

Also, I'm sure many of the open forum visitors would love a chat interface...

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
i cant ever get my photos to load...they always say they are to large.. :cry:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Everytime I try to access the photo album, it says that it's currently offline.. it's been that way for about a month. I stopped checking it. And I don't see the upload button either.

I used to really like looking at all the new pics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts