Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
warning, annoying post ahead......

(skip this and go to next paragraph, as its' standard new poster garbage)
looking to buy my first streetbike, raced motocross from the ages of 8-22, got out of bikes to race cars for a while and now at the ripe old age of 27 have got most of the race out of my blood and want to just have fun. have read around, rode a few bikes of various friends (mainly 600 cc sportbikes since thats all anybody seems to buy these days), decided i wanted to put a few thousand miles on an SV650 and then decide 600 sportbike or vtwin sport touring.

(honest questions start here)
is there a number of miles i should be wary of. ie, if i see a beatiful 01 with 20,000 miles, should i be very afraid?

any 'known problem areas' that i should be looking for?
if i buy a 02 or older will i be kicking myself in the balls for not getting a Fuel Injected Model?
I'm 6'0 225, am i just to damn fat for one of these?

anyway, just wanted some advice from those who would know better than I.

edited to add: let me be the first to flame me for lack of using the search feature before posting, i do now see some really thorough posts on years/things to inspect.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Used SV650 questions

For some reason there are alot of 1st gens 99-02 out there with less then 5k miles on them. Just the other day in Daytona I saw an 02 in yellow and a 01 SVS in red and they both still had the OEM MZ4 tires on them!!!! But if you can find an 03 for $4k-$5k with less then 4k miles try for one of those.

N

·
0 Posts
Used SV650 questions

Don't feel bad! These are the questions people should asking before they lay their money down. Instead we get "How do I wheelie?" (more revs, bounce the front) and "what's my top speed?" (130-ish, despite what your speedo says).

is there a number of miles i should be wary of. ie, if i see a beatiful 01 with 20,000 miles, should i be very afraid?
Condition is much more important than mileage, although mileage is a valid bargaining point. With proper care and minimal abuse it should last into six figures.

any 'known problem areas' that i should be looking for?
There's no real killers here. Early bikes (~'99) had an oil starvation issue during extended wheelies, but if you think the seller might be that kind of rider -RUN AWAY!

if i buy a 02 or older will i be kicking myself in the balls for not getting a Fuel Injected Model?
I haven't rode the 2nd gen bikes, but my '01 carburetes beautifully and I can't imagine the FI bikes run too much better. Again, you could use that lack of FI as a bargaining point.

I'm 6'0 225, am i just to damn fat for one of these?
Don't think so. I'm close to your dimensions, and we've got plenty of folks tall-short-skinny-big that do just fine. The SV is a small, light bike but those are benefits, not liabilities.

edited to add: let me be the first to flame me for lack of using the search feature before posting, i do now see some really thorough posts on years/things to inspect.
Search is a PITA -most people gave up long ago...

Good hunting!

:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Used SV650 questions

thank you for your response. Hopefully I'll be posting pictures of my 'new' used toy withn a couple months.

G

·
0 Posts
Used SV650 questions

Yeah i'm gonna piggyback a little on this thread,

I suppose i cant wait till i have enough to buy a SV, Especially since my clutch stopped working last night on my nighthawk :(. So i'm going to have to cut into my SV fund a little bit :evil:. "I'm going to try just bleeding the cluch master cylinder and replacing the hose, hope that fixes it".

One good thing is i have a parts bike that i can get a clutch out of i think, so hopefully if it comes to that i wont have to fork out lots of money and i can save faster for that SV.

Withdrawal sucks. :( :(

G

·
0 Posts
Used SV650 questions

hahaha, Thanks!, though i'm only a year older than my Bike :D.

Its a blast to ride, though leaned over at speed somtimes causes the front wheel to shake a little back and forth which gets disconcerting. And you gotta love the Shaft drive...

I just want to get it fixed so i can stop driving my stupid car in bike weather.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Used SV650 questions

Project 2501 said:
thank you for your response. Hopefully I'll be posting pictures of my 'new' used toy withn a couple months.
took more months then i wanted.

had 5800 miles on it, essentiall perfect shape. paid 5,000, probably could have got it for a little less but i have no complaints. absolutely love the bike. fun factor is through the roof. want to put some frame sliders on it (who do you reccomend? i dig the black ones that look like bmx pegs)........

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
phat... and just as riding season comes to an end. BUT, that's a good thing for you, IMO. You're likely going to really want to ride in any weather because you just GOTTA ride it. Therefore, you'll be learning to ride in inclement weather and learning that it's not so bad. Yeehaw

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: Used SV650 questions (Edited 4 months later since i finally got the damn thi

Good god, get rid of that fender! ;D
Nice bike, I love the black frame and wheels on the '05's.
Have fun and be safe.
Oh, and I'd recomend frame sliders in addition to the fender elim. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Beat me to it..... lucky devil.. I'm looking at a march due date for mine. :-[

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Used SV650 questions (Edited 4 months later since i finally got the damn thi

i'm going to try to sneak another couple questions in here.

first i'll repeat the one i asked earlier..

Who do you guys recommend for the black peg style frame sliders? i dig those.

What temp range is normal for the SV?

what fender eliminators are you running?

·
Registered
168 Posts

Project 2501 said:
i'm going to try to sneak another couple questions in here.

first i'll repeat the one i asked earlier..

Who do you guys recommend for the black peg style frame sliders? i dig those.

What temp range is normal for the SV?

what fender eliminators are you running?
1. Nate's Motosliders (http://www.motosliders.com/MS-1.html). They are the best period. Also think about getting his swing-arm sliders that double as spools for a rear stand.

2. My SV runs 190-220F in traffic depending on the outside temp. 180-190F on the highway.

3. Fender Eliminator made by RACINTEACH a member of the socalsvriders forum. (http://tinyurl.com/dv9by) Runs about $75.00 and comes with a license plate light with the correct factory Suzujki wire connector. It's really slick and well made. You will find some pics at the link provided. Just send him a PM if you are interested.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

thanks for your response. i went ahead and bought the framesliders using the link you provided.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts