Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just bought my first bike a week ago and I'm proud to say it was a 2000 SV650--it has 18k miles on it now. I'm going to be taking it in for a check-up of sorts before riding it much and am wondering what all I should have looked at. It was sold at a used bike dealer (www.WOWmotorcycles.com) in August of last year and not ridden a while lot since then, and it did go through a "26 point inspection" at the used dealer before being sold. I beleive I will need to replace the battery first, as it doesn't want to start at this time (my friend and I were able to pop the clutch to get it started for a test ride which went fine--before we bought of course). I've got it hooked up to my battery tender, and will give it a try in another day or so to see if its holding a charge at all. Anyways, I'm wondering if a regular 6,000 mile checkup on this bike would look at all the major things--carb syncing, valve clearances, chain tensions, etc--and if so, can anyone give me an idea of how much that service costs (ballpark would be sufficient too). I would appreciate any advice anyone has. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
if you have no idea whatsoever how to do a bike checkup, then having a dealer do the 12k mile service is not a bad way to go. expect to pay considerable $ if you have the check the valves and do a carb sync. you might consider skipping those two, although it's not a bad idea to have them done.

mostly you're looking for basic stuff like checking the air-cleaner, spark plugs, coolant, oil, brake pads, tire wear, control cables, brake fluid, chain wear/tension. most of these things you can do yourself if you have a basic tools and a basic idea of what you're looking for.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts