Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for such a general question but is there any resource out there for help in buying a used SV650? Like problems to look out for in specific model years. Major mechanical differences if any between model years etc.? Any wear items to look at when considering a used bike?

I've searched the net and have been reading through the boards here but have yet to find a concrete source for general used SV info. Any help or links would be appreciated.

·
Registered
359 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JaredMcDonley said:
http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike-content.html
Thanks. Great site.

Anyone care to explain the pros and cons of getting a fuel injected sv over an earlier carbed version?

·
Registered
830 Posts
I haven't found a more fun bike for the money. you can mod the hell out of them pretty cheap, great frame, great engine, quiality build. shitty suspension, but that's east to fix.

fuel injection is nice, but you might never notice it. it makes it easier to add aftermarked exhaust and air filters (alhtough it might make it more expensive)... some folks like carbs because they're cheap and you can tune them yourself (although its a pain in the ass).

fuel injection also gives you more power and better fuel mileage usually.

but if you never open up the bike or do any wrenching you'll never konw the difference.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I actually sourced a dealership with a leftover '01 if you can believe it. It's got 0 miles on it! They're asking $5100 over the phone. What would a fair price be for this bike? I'm figuring somehwere around $4500 - $4750. Does this sound reasonable?

Also aside from bad tires, a dead battery and maybe some old gas is there any worry spots for a bike that's been sitting for so long?
[/list]

·
Registered
830 Posts
hmm... i wouldn't pay more than $3500 for an '02 or earlier. miles don't matter so much. go to a private seller. dealers suck.

if you look around you can find a bike in awesome shape for $3000. 3 just popped up around the Michigan area this summer for that price.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been checking around cycletrader and ebay for used SVs and 3500-4000 is what 99-01 are going for. Only problem is I called about 15-20 dealers in my area and NO ONE had a used SV. It's weird. And plus I'm just a bit skeptical about buying used. I'm not totally averse to it, but if I can get brand new with a factory warranty for a few hundred more I think it's worth it.

do you really think $4500-4750 is too much?

·
Registered
830 Posts
way too much. factory warantee's are useless (i think).

if something breaks just fix it. i would never, ever, buy a new bike. doesn't make any sense to me. Most people take very good care of their bikes and they will work like new till you crash them. Plus you probably won't get a "lemon" as a used bike, becasue the previous owner would have returned it or gotten warantee work done.

why throw away an extra couple of thousand dollars? you're just gonna scratch it and use it anyway.

·
Registered
63 Posts
4390116 said:
I've been checking around cycletrader and ebay for used SVs and 3500-4000 is what 99-01 are going for. Only problem is I called about 15-20 dealers in my area and NO ONE had a used SV. It's weird. And plus I'm just a bit skeptical about buying used. I'm not totally averse to it, but if I can get brand new with a factory warranty for a few hundred more I think it's worth it.

do you really think $4500-4750 is too much?
most leftovers haven't had the fluids put in them yet... I'd check that out..

I dunno that I'd buy a 4 yr old leftover... but a 1 yr leftover doesn't bother me too bad..

FWIW I got a 00 sv-s 650 about 13k. rear shock replaced, front shocks reworked (although too light a spring for my big ass) and in very good shape the best I can tell.. have only had it a few hours now.. but it's very clean, and seems to run/work exactly as intended.

I don't expect any problems. that being said.. I have a little better than $3,000 in it... It's a bit high for the mileage, IMO.. but heck.. I liked the guy, and as stated it is very clean, and obviously well maintained.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts