Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok money is tight.. I did a track day with a rented suit and I'm hooked! but I need tires and a suite..

So I'm looking at a used Alpinestar RC1 jacket and pants, BUT!! it's been rashed! he claims this is not that bad.. i don't know.. and the pics are so close up that it looks bad..

$200 for the set. let me know what you think please.. I don't want to throw away $200 either..

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Biggest thing to look for is open seams. Are you able to see it in person before buying?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya going over tomorrow or friday to try it on and make sure the fit is good.. I can take a closer look then.. do you know if you can lean up the scuffs? shoe polish?

·
Woody's Lackey
1,464 Posts
your lucky, that doesnt look bad at all, and some people would have taken a sharpie and "fixed" some of those spots.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i do want two pieces.. as I need a jacket.. so this way I get both!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I bought my Joe Rocket GPX used 3 years ago for $200 in similar condition to that. I've been down in it 4 times, had to send it to Barnacle Bill after one of them, he took good care of it, good as new!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm in the same boat as the majority here, buy it if it fits and there are no open seams. The rash in the pictures looks cosmetic to me. After your season, then send it to Barnacle Bill to freshen up.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The worst part about brand new suites is that everyone knows you haven't been on the track long enough to scuff your suit up yet. :)

This way you'll blend right in with all of the more experienced track riders!

That's a pretty good price for what looks like very minor rash.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
After your season, then send it to Barnacle Bill to freshen up.
Just tell him to not friggin paint it. He ruined my teammate's suit, which had some neon yellow bits on it, by "painting" it with some crappy leather dye that didn't even come close to matching. Looked like a 4 year old took a giant mustard yellow crayon to it and didn't even bother coloring it in all the way. The thing came back looking like complete JUNK! He was so pi55ed that he gave it away and bought a whole new suit. 200 bucks and a nice suit down the drain.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went for it. Looked a little rough. Took it to a shoe repair shop they sold mknacks kind of shoe polish for jackets for $6. Then said ring it back and they would buff it for me. Finished cleaning and putting on the polish. Looks good already!! One little seam tear where the leather meets some kind of spandex type material on the inside of the arm. Going to see if I can find a seamstress to fix it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Most track day organizations want something a little more substancial than what you linked to above. Most orgs want something a little more like this. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...aster-2-0-Back-Protector.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

I personally prefer something with even more protection than that. I went full custom with a back and chest protector from www.impactarmor.com

Pricey, but holy cow is it well worth the price of admission. I've been riding with that set-up for 6 years now, have had multiple crashes and haven't gotten so much as a bruised rib while wearing that.

Forcefield also make great stuff.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just tell him to not friggin paint it. He ruined my teammate's suit, which had some neon yellow bits on it, by "painting" it with some crappy leather dye that didn't even come close to matching. Looked like a 4 year old took a giant mustard yellow crayon to it and didn't even bother coloring it in all the way. The thing came back looking like complete JUNK! He was so pi55ed that he gave it away and bought a whole new suit. 200 bucks and a nice suit down the drain.
BBill does some good alterations and repair work although I tend to agree with you on the painting. I'd still do business with him though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts