Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's what I've just heard from Cyclemall representative he moded couple of sv's for track already and he mentioned to switch back to OEM forks or those 01-03 gixxer 600 cartridge forks. So what do ya all think? :roll:

Y

·
0 Posts
Stuff like this doesnt surprise me.... changing suspension angles takes the geometry away from design.

·
Registered
744 Posts
yyun said:
That's what I've just heard from Cyclemall representative he moded couple of sv's for track already and he mentioned to switch back to OEM forks or those 01-03 gixxer 600 cartridge forks. So what do ya all think? :roll:
Sounds like complete BS to me. There are a lot of racers running a GSXR usd fork on their SV without problem. If it took that little change to crack a SV's frame, then there would be much bigger issues to deal with.

Let's wait for TWF and DucOwner to arrive...

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
zoltan said:
Sounds like complete BS to me. There are a lot of racers running a GSXR usd fork on their SV without problem. If it took that little change to crack a SV's frame, then there would be much bigger issues to deal with.

+1

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zoltan said:
yyun said:

Well thats what thought, and he said it happened on couple of R6 bikes earlier generation. He mentioned stress on the frame cuz of USD forks but how it fisicaly can put stress on the frame I dont get it when angle remains the same with bigger 70 tire.I think it is BS

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's not complete BS...a stiffer fork will of course be more efficient at transferring energy to that part of the frame, and if that part of the frame is a weak point, it will be more prone to breaking.

Here is a recent discussion we had on BARF, with TWF putting in his $0.02:

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120887

Valid points on all sides. As for me, I love my GSXR frontend, and I'll gladly take my chances in exchange for a much much better suspension.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
It would have to be a major crash for the forks to cause frame breakage.. in those cases.. you're probably going to end up with a new frame anyway.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wonderjosh said:
It would have to be a major crash for the forks to cause frame breakage.. in those cases.. you're probably going to end up with a new frame anyway.
+1 I'd be realy conserned if it happened while ridding over some small bumps but crash is crash, things could be realy surprizing and unexplainable sometimes.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Bs

Think of it this way: You can easily stiffen up the front end enormously just with springs. You wouldn't expect that to break the frame, would you? People raise and lower the forks and the rear ends all the time and I haven't heard any of them breaking frames. Racing is generally easier on frames than normal street riding. The G loads may be a bit higher, but you don't get all the impact loading from the odd pothole, temperature heave, railroad track crossing that you do on the public streets. I wonder if celebratory wheelies have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
In a head on crash, or other incident putting excessive force on the forks- you hit a kerb too hard, I suppose, or similiar- then the stiffer USD forks are less likely to bend than the stock forks, and since something's going to bend in that situation the next thing in the line would be the frame. It's not something I'd worry about in the slightest to be honest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts