Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm going to a 16 tooth front sprocket for highway use now that the gf is 3.5 hours away at university. Is it OK to use a front sprocket without the rubber sides on it like the OEM sprocket? I'm pretty sure it's OK but I just want to check.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
yes, it may make some noise but it's fine. My 14 tooth has no rubber on it and it's been fine for a few thousand miles now...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ding! thanks! I'mma be out in the garage to chuck it on there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I tried going to a 16 tooth front a while back and didn't like it at all. I installed it before I went on a longer trip to see how much of a difference it would make in milage cruising (for the Californians on here, I live in Oakland and rode to San Louis Obispo and back).

Frankly, I found that while it was O.K. for long trips, it really took all the fun out of the bike around town. No get up and go to speak of. I enjoy a smaller bike as much as anyone, but the SV is heavy enough that without the extra accelleration, it was just lame. That said, I usually run a 14 tooth sprocket up front, so I might be expecting too much from the larger sprocket.

·
Registered
899 Posts
That is kinda what I figured. I run a 15 front and a 46 rear. I like the extra torque and I'll put up with a little higher RPMs to get it. But, this is America and you can do what you want! I'm sure there are those out there who love the taller gearing!

·
Registered
29 Posts
What is stock gearing for our SV1000's? 17/40? Anybody know of a 520 conversion set? Thanks...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
pacmann33 said:
Hey, I'm going to a 16 tooth front sprocket for highway use now that the gf is 3.5 hours away at university. Is it OK to use a front sprocket without the rubber sides on it like the OEM sprocket? I'm pretty sure it's OK but I just want to check.
you can get a 16t with the rubber thingie.... stock gsxr 16t fronts fit the SV

I am running 16/46 first I went to 16/45, but it took a bit more zip awy than I liked so i went up 1 in back too, I like it, I cruise 80mph @ 5000 rpm and don't have to shift as much

·
Registered
29 Posts
thinmac said:
I tried going to a 16 tooth front a while back and didn't like it at all.  I installed it before I went on a longer trip to see how much of a difference it would make in milage cruising (for the Californians on here, I live in Oakland and rode to San Louis Obispo and back).

Frankly, I found that while it was O.K. for long trips, it really took all the fun out of the bike around town.  No get up and go to speak of.  I enjoy a smaller bike as much as anyone, but the SV is heavy enough that without the extra accelleration, it was just lame.  That said, I usually run a 14 tooth sprocket up front, so I might be expecting too much from the larger sprocket.
How?  If you have a 17 up front and go -1 to a 16 it makes it accelerate more quickly.  Makes the lower tq more useable...

Just figured out you had a 650... the 1000 is 17/40... guess i should read the sig lines better... ;D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nukedog said:
How?  If you have a 17 up front and go -1 to a 16 it makes it accelerate more quickly.  Makes the lower tq more useable...
??? I thought SVs were 15 stock up front!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
whats a 2nd gen naked front and rear??

·
Registered
498 Posts
For the record the only urgent sprocket issue is when your thumb is stuck between the sprocket and the chain!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts