Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, sorry to come out and post this so quick. I will give you a little background first. My name is DJ, I live in Oregon. I ride a 2006 Honda 599. I am about to buy an 03 sv650 for my girlfriend (she is currently on a rebel 250). I need some questions answered first.

The bike was in a low speed accident. The guy got cut off when it was wet going about 20 mph. He grabbed too much front break and slid the bike out. The things that were damaged were the gas tank (slightly), the radiator, the shifter and the clutch lever. Overall it is still in very good condition. Those parts should be replaced to get it back to premo condition. He is willing to take $2100 for it. It has 10k on the clock. The frame does not have any scratches or any damage that I can see. I test rode the bike and it seemed very stable and straight. Do you guys think that is a good deal?

Also, the only thing I found funny about the bike was that while the engine was running there was an electronic type humming noise coming from the engine area. It is similar to the start up noise. It was not super loud but noticeable during idle. Is that normal? The bike seems to run fine and everything tho.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think I could find a better deal than that. I'd offer him 1600.00. It's kinda hard to say though. 10000 miles is nothing but a new radiator is 400.00 a tank is like 200.00. Is the radiator leaking or is it just bent?

There seems to be good deals pretty often here in phoenix but the market may be different in your area.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Meh, $2k isn't bad considering. You could pick up a clutch lever on ebay for less than $10 and a shift lever for about the same. The radiator is what I'd be concerned about. Does it leak? Does it need to be replaced? That's a $400 item for a new one.

Tank you could just sand down, fill and repaint yourself if you're handy or live with it and pick up a used one on ebay eventually.

The humming noise is probably just the fuel pump.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I could find a better deal than that. I'd offer him 1600.00. It's kinda hard to say though. 10000 miles is nothing but a new radiator is 400.00 a tank is like 200.00. Is the radiator leaking or is it just bent?

There seems to be good deals pretty often here in phoenix but the market may be different in your area.
Yeah the cheapest SV I have EVER seen is an 03 with 44k miles which was $3000. The radiator is leaking. I can replace all the stuff myself so labor is not really an issue.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Yeah the cheapest SV I have EVER seen is an 03 with 44k miles which was $3000. The radiator is leaking. I can replace all the stuff myself so labor is not really an issue.
You'll need to replace the radiator with a new one. There are places that advertise radiator repair but I've heard some really bad horror stories about some of them. Shoddy repairs that look like crap being the most common. I'd just price a new part from Suzuki and factor that into your cost.

·
Registered
235 Posts

If I ever sell mine I'm selling it where you live!

I got my 07 svs abs for 6500 out the door with o miles. I've now have about 4000 miles and wouldn't be surprised to sell it for 5000.00

It's just whatever the market will bare.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
That's not too bad for Oregon. I'm in Washington, on the border with Oregon and searched for an SV for months before I found a clean one, owned by a 45 year old guy and it was blue, not yellow (lots of yellow SV's for sale...). I paid near dealer blue book, but it came with a nice cover, a Cortech tank bag, frame and swingarm sliders, a K&N filter and nearly new Pilot Powers.... and it was in very nice condition with 8,000 miles.

Anyway, back to your deal check out this thread that mentions radiator repair by a guy that does a good job... http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=99782 See post #3.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts