Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I pulled in to buy groceries no issue. When I come back out the bike turns on but won't start.

Checked clutch and kickstand switches.
What do you mean by "turns on"

What do you mean by "won't start."

More and better description would help.

Meanwhile -- throwing this out there: Check you battery connections at the posts; check fuses.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah because the motor didnt even try to turn.

The bike just spontaneously started working agian. I'm back home and took the seat off to check the battery connections. Looked fine...

I'm not sure what was the reason.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I've had this a few times when the battery is low or bad. If there isn't enough current, all you'll hear is the starter relay clicking. It won't even try to turn over the engine.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Do you have a multimeter? Test your electrics.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Had something to similar to this. Luckily, when it died it was at my house, not in a parking lot. The diagnosis was an internal short in the battery. Voltage read fine when the battery was not being drawn upon, but the battery could not even power a small lamp using a DC to AC power inverter. My guess is bad battery.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nah because the motor didnt even try to turn.

The bike just spontaneously started working agian. I'm back home and took the seat off to check the battery connections. Looked fine...

I'm not sure what was the reason.
You're new to this huh? Dead battery=clicking relay

Have you're charging system and battery checked (or do it yourself)

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
You should be able to push-start it, that'll confirm a working charging system and a bad battery.

If it dies on the way home it's a bad charging system and a dead battery (because of the bad charging system)

It doesn't take much voltage to run the fuel pump and light the instruments.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're new to this huh? Dead battery=clicking relay

Have you're charging system and battery checked (or do it yourself)
Every time I've had a weak battery it would at least try to start the engine before turning the bike off.

I'm pretty sure it's not dead because it randomly started up fine again later after having the bike on for about 5-10 minutes, lights on and everything.

I think it was my clutch switch since the PO removed it.

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
Like I told you via text, clean and reconnect the clutch switch jumper. Or you could install a new switch and plug it in. I may have one in my spare parts drawer. I'll look for it.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep!. That's the plan in the morning. I had to go to a meeting right after I got home and then study with a group. If I'm imagining the original switch correctly, I won't even need a new switch.

The PO just used a wire as a jumper cable between the terminals.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts