Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

Have naked 04 and tried stock bars vs. pseudo clip-on position clubman bars.

Found the clubman position too forward and too low for my short self. So ...I modified the clubman's position by adding Gen-mar risers.

I like the feel of forward for better lean and better high speed stability but am I losing what some here call "flickability" ??

Please help with your opinions, pro's and con 's.

Thanks, Bernie

·
Registered
720 Posts
Really its all about what feels comfortable to you, I definitly dont thing you will loose the light handling of the bike by sticking with the clubman style bars, the main reason for the ultra low clip ons is to get your body into a really aggressive riding position when your cranked way over. It all depends on what type of riding you like to do, street, agressive street, track etc....just set them up for what feels best

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
There is no one answer. People have different likes and dislikes for different reasons. On the street I personally don't like to be leaned over. Standard bars give me better low-speed control around town and enhance rapid steering transitions. For longer trips I find sitting up behind a small windscreen more comfortable for hours on the road. For cornering I can get as low on the tank and hang off as far as I need or want to. The purpose of clip ons is to enhance aerodynamics, not steering.

Which do you like better? That's the question. Stick with what you like, not what someone else tells you to like.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the opinions thus far.... I've ridden both upright and more recently the lower forward position. I'll probably have to switch back and forth this spring.

I sense the upright position is better for slow speeds around town...by the same token, the forward position seems to enhance front wheel feel (and traction?) during aggressive turning.

I do value others opinions because there's always something new to learn.

Anyone - opinion on ability to lean bike as well with upright position with stock naked bars?

·
Registered
149 Posts
SBG said:
Anyone - opinion on ability to lean bike as well with upright position with stock naked bars?
You wont loose any lean with the more standard bars. Just go with what is most comfortable for you.

'Flickability' has more to with with the weight, center of gravity, etc of the bike. Not the bars. You have to drastically cahnge the bike to take that away.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
SBG said:
Howdy all,

Have naked 04 and tried stock bars vs. pseudo clip-on position clubman bars.

Found the clubman position too forward and too low for my short self. So ...I modified the clubman's position by adding Gen-mar risers.

I like the feel of forward for better lean and better high speed stability but am I losing what some here  call "flickability"  ??

Please help with your opinions, pro's and con 's.

Thanks, Bernie
Here you go: http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=62999.0

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Avid,

thanks for the thread... I coulda used it last year :)

Seriously, my question been answered by trial and error - trying Clubman bars vs stock and other folks bikes with a variety of style clipons.... my solution is I'm sticking with stock

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
More upright bars are definitely better for fine control, especially in town and low speed roads. You can change your body position even with more upright bars to give you a lower center of gravity. The purpose of clip ons and other low, narrow bars is aerodynamic. On the street the benefit is pretty minor.

You have a good plan - try different styles and pick the one you like best.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
although I ride clubmans on the street and like them, there is one factor that hasn't been mentioned. Line of sight. If I am in city traffic (not all that often) its pretty difficult to see as much around me as it would be with stock bars. If fact, my helmet is usually pretty well situated between the hard armor of my jacket and its pretty difficult to get my head turned all the way around.

You get used to it and end up doing the chin/shoulder drop and turn the head to the side thing to check the blindspot. But its not nearly as good as sitting upright.

Also your profile is shorter and there for you are less likely to be seen. I always sit bolt upright for a second when approaching traffic on country roads to aid seeing and being seen.

Shane

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
SBG said:
why different bar ends?????? are they not a 7/8" handlebar

I wish i knew about these cause after my low end, stockers ran me $46
yeah the inside diameter of the bars is less than 7/8" ,but i think some barends come with two differant size rubber rgommits for them,so you can use them in 7/8 and the next size down.

·
Registered
485 Posts
randomSV650 said:
I bought these Coerce "Street Fighter" bars off ebay after my lowside. They're lower than stock,and put you forward a little more.you can definitely notice the difference.as far as cornering goes,i'm pretty comfortable with them.

Looks good, do you have any other pics from diferent angles?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Looks good!
Like the mirrors a lot as well, are they usable?

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
I have employed the universal adapter riser kit and 1 1/8" Pro taper "mini low" bend motocross bars with great results (for me). (they fit with stock naked cabling)search the mods section for pro taper and you will get the p#s i listed. I love em.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts