Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 SV650A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm considering replacing/upgrading the brake lines on my 2021 SV650 to steel braided lines. I was hoping hear from some of you who have done the said upgrade, pros and cons and such. Also what brand/s do you recommend?
Thanks!

·
Registered
829 Posts
No cons other than expense and labor, and definitely a must once you should replace your brake lines (after 4 years as per manual). If you do it earlier and are not an overly sportive rider, the difference in feel will be marginal in my opinion.

It's more effective to change your brake fluid every year (not the 2 years as per manual) or even more often if your bike is parked outside in the elements or you are a very sportive rider. Also keeping your brake rotors, pads, and pistons clean and grease free, and your caliper slide pins lubed up adds a ton of feel. Brake lines should come last after all the other maintenance items don't cut if for you.

As for brands, stick with established ones that do proper quality control, like Hel, Spiegler, Galfer, or Venhill.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Brake line replacement has been one of the first upgrades I have done to every motorcycle and some vehicles. I have used all of the name brands and some lessor known, Venhill is the only one I have been dissatisfied with, the coating came off of the banjo at the caliper allowing it to rust. Used every line configuration you can think of on the front and there's not much difference, last purchase was Core Moto RACING CUSTOM 3T FRONT BRAKE SYSTEM (3 Lines)

As stated the only con is expense and labor.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The front, which is squeezed by your (relatively weak) hand benefits greatly in feel with teflon/stainless brake install. The rear which is actuated by your (strong, clumsy, heavy) foot will never notice a difference.

So I would only do the front.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Fwiw. I’ve also had several brake lines. The big names tend to be fine. You can even build your own. I’ve had the same set of Venhill lines on my 2003 SV650 for 11 years. They still look very good. It sits outside, uncovered most of the time. It’s been raced a lot, ridden on street 30k+ miles. I’ve actually changed out upper fittings a couple times when I changed master cylinders. Very easy.

The last time I bought lines, I went with the single upper fitting that splits and heads to both calipers. Simplest, offers best clearance and works just as well as any other setup in my experience.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hello everyone! I'm considering replacing/upgrading the brake lines on my 2021 SV650 to steel braided lines. I was hoping hear from some of you who have done the said upgrade, pros and cons and such. Also what brand/s do you recommend?
Thanks!
No cons, all pros. I did two bikes felt the difference straight away, crisp, firmer feel at the lever. No difference in the rear that I can feel. I went with Spiegler as you can adjust the banjo so your lines are not kinked.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would not suggest you touch them until you need to replace them. They are pretty decent quality. If you wanna do it just because -> go ahead. However, if you don't feel the brake or need more feedback -> upgrade your MC and lever.

·
Registered
2021 SV650A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No cons other than expense and labor, and definitely a must once you should replace your brake lines (after 4 years as per manual). If you do it earlier and are not an overly sportive rider, the difference in feel will be marginal in my opinion.

It's more effective to change your brake fluid every year (not the 2 years as per manual) or even more often if your bike is parked outside in the elements or you are a very sportive rider. Also keeping your brake rotors, pads, and pistons clean and grease free, and your caliper slide pins lubed up adds a ton of feel. Brake lines should come last after all the other maintenance items don't cut if for you.

As for brands, stick with established ones that do proper quality control, like Hel, Spiegler, Galfer, or Venhill.

Thanks for advice. Appreciate it! 😀

·
Registered
2021 SV650A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brake line replacement has been one of the first upgrades I have done to every motorcycle and some vehicles. I have used all of the name brands and some lessor known, Venhill is the only one I have been dissatisfied with, the coating came off of the banjo at the caliper allowing it to rust. Used every line configuration you can think of on the front and there's not much difference, last purchase was Core Moto RACING CUSTOM 3T FRONT BRAKE SYSTEM (3 Lines)

As stated the only con is expense and labor.

Thanks for advice and the link.😀

·
Registered
2021 SV650A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The front, which is squeezed by your (relatively weak) hand benefits greatly in feel with teflon/stainless brake install. The rear which is actuated by your (strong, clumsy, heavy) foot will never notice a difference.

So I would only do the front.

Thanks for advice. Your comment on the rear brakes makes sense.😀

·
Registered
2021 SV650A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fwiw. I’ve also had several brake lines. The big names tend to be fine. You can even build your own. I’ve had the same set of Venhill lines on my 2003 SV650 for 11 years. They still look very good. It sits outside, uncovered most of the time. It’s been raced a lot, ridden on street 30k+ miles. I’ve actually changed out upper fittings a couple times when I changed master cylinders. Very easy.

The last time I bought lines, I went with the single upper fitting that splits and heads to both calipers. Simplest, offers best clearance and works just as well as any other setup in my experience.

Thanks for advice.😀

1 - 11 of 11 Posts