Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dilemma is thus:
I currently have a Wilbers rear shock set up properly for my weight. I'm quite happy with it and I can ride the SV with enough confidence to have almost no chicken strips on my tires. I also have the traxxion damper rod kit and .90 springs for the front end. In the near future i'm going to rebuild the SV completely and put a GSXR front end on.

So here is my question, should I spend the extra money and get a Penske or Elka rear shock? What does the SV community say about this? Would it be worth the extra money or do people think the Wilbers shock will be good enough? Just looking for different opinions...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Typically if it ain't broke don't fix it is my thinking. But I figured since I'm going all out (going to have the frame powdercoated, some engine work done...) then I might as well get the best shock. I went with the Wilbers because of its price, I got it for $350.

I was hoping to find someone who had experience with both a high end shock and a mid range shock that could offer some feedback on whether it would be that big of a difference.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Like the others said, if you're happy with it, save your dough for something else. You've already upgraded to a much better than stock unit, I don't see the point in spending more unless you really need to.

Just the opinion of a cheapskate. ;)

·
Registered
563 Posts
I can't speak from experience on your situation, but it might help to state the goals of your project. Street or track? Best-value or money-is-no-object? Bling or purely functional?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point about my riding style...

All street riding. Maybe, just maybe I'll make it out to the track one day. But the SV is my daily commuter rain or shine. And somedays my friends and I go up to the mountains for fun. In addition, I'm more of a set it and forget it type of guy. I don't care much for twiddling knobs and such. At least that is how I am with my mountain bike.

I think I'll just stick with the Wilbers. I haven't heard or read anything that would indicate a Penske or Elka shock would be that much of an upgrade that would warrant $600-$900. Plus I'm a cheapskate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts