Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, as some of you know, I recently acquired some of my dad's old photography gear. The original purpose was to use the OM-mount lenses on my dSLR. Well, I also acquired an OM 10. I have a goal this "extended" weekend (Friday off); I want to take at least 100 exposures. It's been a long time since I've shot anything with film, and nothing with the control you have with a film SLR. I'm looking for some tips and recommendations:

What's a good, quality film? ISO 100-400, color and also B+W. I may try a roll of ISO 800, but I'm not going to get ahead of myself.

Where can I get film developed and also high-quality scanned to digital?

Is there any general knowledge about the workings of the OM 10, or film in general (compared to digital, besides instant gratification results) that you'd like to share?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I always used Kodak film. They've been doing it for quite a while, and they've never steered me wrong.

With that many exposures, I'd maybe try a few rolls of each. 100-200 mostly, and maybe a roll of 400. I would't go over that.

Ritz does scanning of negatives and will put them on a CD for you. That's what I've done for the past few rolls I've shot. I don't even bother with prints anymore.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, cool. What's the image size from the CD, on average, and how much do you end up spending? I've notices that film scanners are doing 7200 dpi, which would be 69 MP... I don't think that 35mm film has that great of resolution though.

Last question. I promise. Do you think I should go for slide or print film?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
If I recall, images were around 30MB. Can't be sure though. I can check when I get home.

Also not sure of the cost. It's probably on their website, but I know it wasn't that much. Under $10 for sure.

I don't know the difference between slide and print film.

FWIW, I read that the resolution on film is equivalent to around 30MP. I'm sure this is dependent upon many factors though.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
stay with 400 film and plenty of sunlight.
Walmart developes film, and will give you a cd rom with related pics if you ask for it.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I recall, images were around 30MB. Can't be sure though. I can check when I get home.

Also not sure of the cost. It's probably on their website, but I know it wasn't that much. Under $10 for sure.

I don't know the difference between slide and print film.

FWIW, I read that the resolution on film is equivalent to around 30MP. I'm sure this is dependent upon many factors though.
30MB? Not bad for uncompressed images considering my 10MP RAW is roughly 10-20MB per image. I'm a little more motivated than before.

From my reading, slide film presents a positive while print is the typical negative. Apparently, slide film has greater contrast and color representation. Everything I've read is commenting on how slide film is better for making prints from a lab, high dynamic range (better than printer's capabilities)... coincidentially, I can't find any newer than 2001 info.

I'm guessing there won't be much of a difference between the two if I put them through photochop.

Well, hopefully the light seal kit comes in tomorrow or Friday (a b!tch to find too). 35 year old camera, the old ones are shot. I'll probably pick up 4 rolls, 3 color and 1 B&W. I may choose one of the color ones to be a slide for comparison.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Oh!!!! I just shot my whole DC trip on film. 120mm b&w film to be exact.

Zach has bought me a full darkroom and I can't wait I have a place to set it up! I would not have film developed at walmart. Not he one of pictures you want. I have a few links for you on my computers. Where I get film, expired film(I love!) fuji Acros b&w is my favorite to shoot with. I found a place in Columbus that I get my coloured developed and my b&w negatives pub on paper at. A tood source of info on film shops for your area is flikr.com

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
when I used to shoot film, I liked Tri-X for b&w ;D ... slide films of choice were Ektachrome and Fujichrome, negative film - Fujifilm (which kinda explains when I went digital, I bought Fuji ... ) I used to do my own b&w processing and printing until I started getting a bad reaction to the chemicals

S

·
0 Posts
I recently bought an HP C8100 printer because it was one of the only multi-function printer/scanner devices I could find with a built-in 35mm negative scanner. Nikon sells professional models, but they're expensive. Some photo shops will scan negatives for you, but it adds up quickly if you have a lot.

This printer is really cool, just slide your old 35mm negatives into the special tray, and scan them onto your hard drive. The scan quality is very good (at least to my eyes). The difference between the scanner feature on this printer is that for scanning negatives, both the top and bottom are lit up (the scanner top has a backlight).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts