Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. This is a recent development and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same symptoms. Recently (the last month or so) when I get on the throttle hard from idle, there is a sharp single "pop" before the revs start going up....not loud like a backfire, but sharp like a single "ping". If I get on the throttle hard from a little over idle, it does not do this (like at 1000 rpm)....only from an easy idle (like after sitting at a light). I have an '03 650 with FI. There shouldn't be anything messing with my timing....so maybe the idle is a bit low? I use regular gas (no octane boost), but the last time I filled up I put in mid-grade to see if it resolved the problem....no change....so I don't think it's pre-detonation. This doesn't impact drive-ability, acceleration, etc...just the sound when getting on the gas from a standing start. Also, this happens with the tranny in neutral, so it shouldn't be a noise related to that. Also, this started after I had not ridden the bike for about 6-8 weeks (work and weather were working against me getting out for a while).

Any feedback would be appreciated. I just want to make sure the noise isn't something bad. I do have the extended warranty and was considering taking it in to have it checked out if the issue doesn't resolve itself shortly.

Thanks for all the great info I've received from this board....it truly is the best SV650 resource anywhere!

·
Registered
71 Posts
You might start by tightening your motor mounts. This may be something as simple as the motor shifting a little when its twisted quickly under torque.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
is ther a slight hesitation first? enrichener slightly stuck

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'll get out the torque wrench and check the motor mount bolts. As far as the enricher....I'll need to check out the shop manual to find that one....would a little WD-40 fix that?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
enrichener = choke.... it's not really a choke in the classic sense

·
Registered
394 Posts
Did I read correctly ? Your idle is below 1000 RPMs.I could be wrong ,it just jumped out at me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so last Friday I have the day off and head up to the Suzuki dealer to have them take a look at the bike (since it's still under warranty). I get there and demonstrate the noise it's making. I've also determined that the idle is low (s/b around 1300 rpm and it's only at about 1000 rpm). They adjust the idle for me (now I can do it myself after watching them) and they tell me that the noise is not unusual and that I probably got some bad gas. I haven't noticed the sound as much since the idle has been adjusted. I'm going to run this tank down to where the fuel light comes on then fill it up with super unleaded and see what happens. If it's still doing it at the end of that tank, then I'm going back and insisting they give it a once over.

Hope everybody had a nice weekend.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Fill it up with 87 octane (like the manual says!) at a station that is busy (less of a chance that a busy station will be selling old gas). If it still has that noise definitely bring it back in.

·
Registered
397 Posts
do you warm up your bike before you try throttling up? I get a pretty good pop when i try to rev while the bike is cold. Just choke it for about 5 min then try throttling up...if it still pops, then your gonna have to explore other possibilities.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts