Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends,

Seeking some advice on a solution for this problem. I am replacing the original headlight and mount of my 2009 SFV650. I got universal brackets that came with a headlight I bought which clamp onto the fork fine but my issue is with the brackets. The original headlight mount is in the way blocking the universal brackets from coming in far enough to reach the headlight.

Here's a video to help to show you what I mean

Has anyone removed the original headlight mount, can you help me figure this out? Or has a suggestion on how to resolve this.

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Kinda looks like just the two bolts at the bottom triple, but I hope you've figured out how you're going to mount the turn signals, since their bracket bolts to the headlight frame you're trying to remove.

Sometimes, you've just gotta start taking stuff apart. We can reassure you all you want, but you're the one doing the work in the end.

Take pics with your phone as you go so you'll remember how things go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey friends,

Seeking some advice on a solution for this problem. I am replacing the original headlight and mount of my 2009 SFV650. I got universal brackets that came with a headlight I bought which clamp onto the fork fine but my issue is with the brackets. The original headlight mount is in the way blocking the universal brackets from coming in far enough to reach the headlight.

Here's a video to help to show you what I mean

Has anyone removed the original headlight mount, can you help me figure this out? Or has a suggestion on how to resolve this.

Thank you for your help!
Hey, I am looking to retrofit a 5.75” round headlight and wanted to see if you got it to work?
my plan was to buy a 1st, 2nd, or 4th gen light assembly and bracket as a starting point and then Modify as necessary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, I am looking to retrofit a 5.75” round headlight and wanted to see if you got it to work?
I did get it to work! See the details below... I will send over a picture and some details when I get a chance that will help you hopefully.

Kinda looks like just the two bolts at the bottom triple, but I hope you've figured out how you're going to mount the turn signals, since their bracket bolts to the headlight frame you're trying to remove.

I kind of just went with it like you said, started removing the parts and saw what was blocking / how it was integrated. I ended up removing the frame and it was easier than I expected actually. 2 bolts at the bottom and 2 bolts below the speedometer. The only tricky part was the brake line, I didn't want to undo the line and have to bleed my brakes so I cut the frame slightly with a grinder and bent the frame so the brake line could be removed.

I was able to mount the turn signals to the new brackets as well, they had a secondary hole I was able to utilize.

All in all it was easier and worked out better than I expected. I just slightly fucked up the wiring but that can easily be remedied .

Thanks for your encouragement!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my plan was to buy a 1st, 2nd, or 4th gen light assembly and bracket as a starting point and then Modify as necessary.
Hey, to remove the bracket I had to
  • remove the bottom 2 bolts
  • unscrew and unhook the signal lights
- grind the part that was holding the brake line, your other option is to remove the brake line but grinding it was pretty easy.
- unscrew the speedometer and pass it through the headlight bracket

For the wiring the SFV has the H4 connector for the high, low, and passing light, however it has a separate connector for the position light (which is just the daytime running lights). The position light has a ground as well has the h4 connector but I didn't need the position light ground since my new light was running all the lights on the same circuit. I spliced everything accordingly and just taped the ground wire of the position light shut and ignored it.

Hope this helps, reach out to me if you have any questions!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts