Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went this morning to go visit a friend I've kinda lost touch with and had a unique experiance on the way there. Went out route 136 over a stretch I was never on before, and found a new fun road. A good mix of sweeps and weird curves on very hilly terrian. As I came around the increasing radius turn at a speed a little too fast for a road I haven't rode before there was something in my line. I thought "I probably shouldn't" SPLAT "... hit that"

I ran over a small plastic package of chocalate pudding that was in the middle of the road :oops: By the time I made it to civilization and found someplace to rinse of the goo it had dried. Took forever to get it off the the bottom of my fender and my chin fairing. Now I understand the concept of target fixation. I am also glad to report that Avon tires have no loss of traction in gooey dessert conditions

Forgot the second s in dessert. Some day I'll use preview...

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I hit a water balloon and somehow it splattered onto my visor.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The damndest thing happened to me last week on my way to work. I was 2 or 3 cars behind another sportbike when I saw something flip up in the air in a circular pattern and land just in front of me. It took me a second to figure it out but it was the other guy's clear facehield. I rode past him and felt bad cause there he was visorless with no glasses. Didn't know if the tears were caused by wind or the loss of visor.:cry:

·
Registered
53 Posts
MagpieTear said:
gooey dessert conditions
weather chanel reported a 30% chance of that all week. :?

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
If anyone has ever gone through any of the 3 bridge-tunnels in Hampton Roads, seagulls are the biggest threat. They just passed a bill so they can start shooting them to decrease their numbers, since there have been so many running into cars and trucks. (There had to be at least 25 or so carcasses on the road on Saturday afternoon when I went through). People, mostly PETA, have been in an uproar about it, saying they shouldn't kill them. It's not fair. I'm waiting to hit one on the bike doing 55. My guess is, it won't be like hitting a bug. Kill 'em. Kill 'em all!

·
Registered
47 Posts
ASCSurveyor said:
If anyone has ever gone through any of the 3 bridge-tunnels in Hampton Roads, seagulls are the biggest threat. They just passed a bill so they can start shooting them to decrease their numbers, since there have been so many running into cars and trucks. (There had to be at least 25 or so carcasses on the road on Saturday afternoon when I went through). People, mostly PETA, have been in an uproar about it, saying they shouldn't kill them. It's not fair. I'm waiting to hit one on the bike doing 55. My guess is, it won't be like hitting a bug. Kill 'em. Kill 'em all!
I hit a pigeon while traveling at a 'spirited' pace. The dumb thing was flying out of the way when it changed its mind at the last second. Bounced off the windshield, I ducked a bit but it hit the face shield on my helmet and knocked one side loose. When I stopped to asses the damage there was blood and feathers everywhere. My buddy caught up to me and just said "thats foul'

·
Registered
536 Posts
The first time I ever rode a Harley, I was out with my dad through the desert of AZ (not dessert, this time) and saw something in my lane that I couldn't figure out. As I got closer to it, I realized that it was a rabbit that had been hit several times and was squished absolutely flat ... except for the ears, which were sticking straight up off the road. I did manage not to hit it again, though. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's not unique but the way I hit it was... Saturday I had a bird bounce off my knee puck.

·
Registered
449 Posts
have you guys ever seen some dead animal on the side of the road, then wondered WTF it was?

I saw one the other day ( I wish I had my camera with me) and I swear this thing didnt look like anything I had seen before. It had hands and it was furry. About the size of a small dog, and it had a tail which had scales on it. It wasnt a possum. I had seen one of those before, and its head was kind of blocky but it was all smushed down into the pavement.

I'm thinking it was a deformed mutant platypus. I dont know.

·
Registered
63 Posts
ASCSurveyor said:
I'm waiting to hit one on the bike doing 55. My guess is, it won't be like hitting a bug. Kill 'em. Kill 'em all!
I once hit a chicken at about 40 mph.. not a big bird.. I'd say it's weight would be somewhat comparable to a seagull.. 3.5-5pnds at best.

Good sunday roaster size anyway... uh.. not that I cooked it or anything.. it survived.

I saw something wiggling around in the ditch line.. thought was a rabbit or something.. let off the gas, but didn't brake because it was heading away from me into the weeds... "no problem" I thought... EEERRRRR WRONG!!!

It ran up the bank and then pulled a 180 and took flight heading back down to the road... i believe it was just trying to get up the bank for a little more altitude to really try and fly instead of just squabble it's way back to the road like it did...

the only problem was me, and my hayabusa were using the space it wanted.. It snipped the top edge of the wind screen and hit me square in the chest.. felt like somebody threw a medicine ball at me. Then the hilarity ensued..

It was flopping all around on top of the tank... I was probably still going 35-40 at this point... sqwuaking, and whatever other noises chickens make when they are in distress, or confused,, or pissed.. or whatever. I still wasn't exactly sure what it was at the time.. I just knew it was black,, had some red around the head area and was flopping around on my tank. I finally had to reach up and pull it off the tank with my left hand.

I stopped about 1/4 mile up the road to recover and check the windscreen out... buddy riding behind me was still laughing his ass off when it pulled up beside me... he said when I hit it a couple of feathers flew up over my helmet and were still floating to the ground when he came thru.

The funniest part .. to him anyway was describing seeing the bird fly into me... and then not come out the other side... plus he could see it flopping around on the tank/my lap and me furiously glancing downward trying to see it and finally tossing it off the bike.

RE:pETA
They gonna die one way or the other sounds like.. may as well not do alot of damage, or wreck somebody in the process.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I got a turkey last year, or should I say the turkey got me? Took it to the left shoulder, damn near knocked me off the bike. Turkey got up and shrugged it off and continued to it's goofy run for the other side of the road.

I can't count the number of finches and swallows I've killed with my helmet.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hmm road kill....

I've hit:

- a small bird (hit me not the bike)
- a tire as it exploded off a transport trailer (ran over part, part hit the bike, part hit me)
- a cement wall (not sure if it counts as the road kill or if I did :? )

Wow, that list was a lot shorter than I thought it was going to be.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I guess I'm pretty lucky in this department. My worst was when a moth hit me in the neck between my jacket and helmet. At 35 mph I thought somebody shot me with a BB gun. It hurt pretty bad.

A buddy of mine was hit in the same spot on his neck by a cigarette butt(sp?) . He got a nasty burn. I think about that every time I see someone carelessly flick one out their car window. Littering pisses me off!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I once saw a jackrabbit dart out right in front of me, no time to do any evasive maneuvers other than gas and bag, the funny part though was my brother was right behind me and well after I hit it my rear tire did the removing of innards off the road and onto my brother. Didn't realize it till we got back home I was laughing so hard. Most of the guts somehow managed to get up into exhaust manifold, and some bits on the helmet and lower fairings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts