Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Uneven Acceleration- Not Sure of The Cause

A few weeks ago I bought an 02 SV 650, it's my first bike, and I'm pumped to be out on the road with it! The bike had about 5700 miles on it when I bought it, and I have only put about another 75 on it so far. All the major components are in great condition. At the least that's what the more experience rider I took with me when I bought the bike said.

The owner I bought the bike from seamed kind of like a crazy dude, and was always talking about wheelies, so I can only assume he road the bike hard. Since there are not a ton of miles on it I figured he couldn't have done too much damage.

So back to my main concern, the acceleration. Initially when I bought the bike I couldn't feel anything uneven about the acceleration. As I ride it more, I have noticed that throughout all the gears there is a light bucking feeling when I accelerate, as well as when I am cruising at a steady speed. It's nothing that makes me concerned when I ride, but it is a little annoying now that I notice it. The tach doesn't seem too show the uneven acceleration, but I can feel it.

I replaced the oil with Rotella T, and the filter with a K&N one, which almost everyone here seems to recommended. I noticed an improvement in the smoothness of the shifts(maybe mental or I'm just getting better at it as I ride more), but nothing changed with the acceleration issues. I have put in new gas, 93 octane, but have done nothing else to the bike.

My experienced friend suggested the carbs might need to be cleaned. Do you guys have any other ideas, or thoughts? Thanks for any help,
~Mike

P.S. I have ordered a competition werks fender eliminator kit, and bike master drag bars and folding mirrors. can't wait to get them installed!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
If he really wheelied the bike you might be in trouble since the SV does not like longer wheelies because of oil starvation.
But easy things first, that is very low milage for that age so your carbs might be a lttle dirty.
I would run some sea foam and see if that helps.
Besides that, stock oil filter is fine and you are wasting your money putting premium fuel in the tank.
Come to think about it, is the exhaust stock and is the airbox modified?

Just saw that this is your first post, so welcome to SVRider.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The K & N will make it run lean with the stock carburetor jetting, so either clean the carbs and rejet them, or try a stock filter and see if it feels any better. The first gens are more finicky about air/fuel changes, where the fuel injection on the second gens will correct somewhat for changes.
I had a K & N on mine for a while, and went back to stock filter, since I didn't notice any change in the power with it.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Is the OP not refering to an K&N oilfilter?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Is the OP not refering to an K&N oilfilter?
I think the OP is referring to the oil filter, as it looks like the one in the pic has the hex on the end for a wrench.

Also, OP, have you checked the chain for any tight spots?
If the chain looks ok (likely still OEM chain considering the mileage) and is well oiled and no tight spots, I revert back to my original suggestion for a carb-sync after you've removed and cleaned the carbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for advice guys. I heard the carborated sv bikes were more tempermental when it comes to changes involving air intake, im glad changing the oil filter isnt a big problem, i was a little worried when LKB3rd said i would need to change the needles. The chain seams ok, no tight spots and it doesnt look like the air box has been modified either, stock exhaust.

Since im not super mechanically inclined ill bring my bike to a mechanic. Carb clean and sync'd
hopefully that does it. Thanks
mike

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Thanks for advice guys. I heard the carborated sv bikes were more tempermental when it comes to changes involving air intake, im glad changing the oil filter isnt a big problem, i was a little worried when LKB3rd said i would need to change the needles. The chain seams ok, no tight spots and it doesnt look like the air box has been modified either, stock exhaust.

Since im not super mechanically inclined ill bring my bike to a mechanic. Carb clean and sync'd
hopefully that does it. Thanks
mike
If you are going to open up the carbs, many would say to bump the jetting a little while you are there. Even a perfectly clean and good running SV will run a bit better with a little more fuel. Especially on the idle system (pilot jet). If you plan on modding the exhaust in the future, now would be the time to bump the mains a little too. If it responds well and runs smoothly in the midrange you can probably leave the needles alone for now, but if you change the exhaust later you'll want to raise them a tad...but that is pretty easy to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts