Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone send me a template for an 02 SVS undertail? what I would like is a template of the metal that is used on "Ben's fender Removal Kit". Please PM me or you can e-mail at [email protected] or you can fax to 281-496-2920.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Donneij.
Drifter,
That's great but, why does it print so BIG? What size did you shrink it down to to get the exact fit?

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
It's suppose to be that big as it's a template. Take the file to Kinko's or equivalent and have them print it out (it's cheap). Glue or tape the template to the sheetmetal and cut...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks DonnieJ! What I meant was, what size should I shrink it down to print it up. What I did was set up the printer to 96% and.....vouala....perfect. It turned out beautiful. Instead of using steel, I used Lexan plastic that I had lying around the garage and cut it and sanded it with a dremel. Then drilled the necessary holes, sanded, primered and painted. Fabricated my own license and signal bracket, wired it up and she's ready to go. (I felt like I needed my own TV show :lol: ) I'll see if I can't get some pics soon. Thanks for for everyone's help!

·
Registered
229 Posts
PB would you mind sharing that template?

I purchased a used undertray here on SVrider, but it is so hammered I don't want to install it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Strick,
Look at www.sv650.tk under "MODS". There's a whole instruction "manual" and a template you can print. What I did was set the printer to print at 96% which turned out good. Try different percentages to fit. IF you still can't get it let me know and I'll fax ya a copy.

S

·
0 Posts
If anyone has a copy of photoshop you can use that to print an exact size copy. There is a print "preview" mode that allows you to set up the exact size it will print. Regular browsers and image viewing programs aren't designed for accuracy when printing so it's going to be trial and error. By the way the mod when done does look pretty damn clean. Maybe not as good as the rumble imports but definately better than stock. I definately suggest painting it black though rather than leaving a shiny metal. Although the paint will ding and dent rather quickly. I saw a bike the other day with a homeade FE it used the truck style diamon plating. He said it was a [email protected]#$ to work with. Looked... interesting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used this same template on my 02. Except i brought it into AutoCAD and added "SV650" and had it laser-cut out full-scale of 1/16" Stainless Steel sheet metal. I then hit it with a buffing wheel with rubbbing compound, then polishing compound and finished it by waxing it. It was rather time consuming putting it on, since I had to almost 'bend' ever side up to make it bolt up properly. It looks sweet. I plan on putting some blue lighting behind the cutout "SV650" to make it more trick. I'll also be designing some custom heel guards to get laser-cut out too, but still looking for ideas. I would post some pics, but i havent figured out how yet. I also laser-cut out and bent up the tail-signal and license plate holder.

·
Registered
229 Posts
PB, Donnie, et.al.

I printed out the template on 8 1/2" x 11" paper, enlarged it by 20 %, then printed it out on two sheets which yield 130% versus my original. I then taped the two sheets together to give me the template intact. I printed the original out from photo shop, if that matters..

My question is: what are the measurement from tail light tip to the other end and the side to side measure as well? Thanks! I want to make sure I have the right dimensions. I plan on tackling it this weekend. I already have the sheet metal.

Once again, thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't have my template handy right now but if you got the template from sv650.tk it should have a scale on it. I think it is 10 cm? Check that and see that it measures correctly. I ptinted mine out on an 8 1/2 x 11 paper, then on a copy machine had it enlarged at 129% which worked for me but I am sure slight differences in copy machines/printers can account for that difference. Hope that helps..

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
k forgive my stupid question, this undertail template does wut exactly?

wut do u do? u print it out and mold it with fiberglass? or metal? i was about to buy an undertail but if i can mod my own ill do that, somebody gimme a lil more info please please

·
Registered
229 Posts
jimmerb said:
I don't have my template handy right now but if you got the template from sv650.tk it should have a scale on it. I think it is 10 cm? Check that and see that it measures correctly. I ptinted mine out on an 8 1/2 x 11 paper, then on a copy machine had it enlarged at 129% which worked for me but I am sure slight differences in copy machines/printers can account for that difference. Hope that helps..
I feel so stupid!

10cm, DUH!

Thanks for waking me up. I can take it from here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No prob. Let me know how you make out. I haven't actually done mine yet. A friend who is a machinist is cutting it out of 1/8" aluminum and then we came up with our own design for a lic plate/turn signal bracket that he is going to machine from some billet aluminum. Waiting on him. He's doing it for free so I can't complain.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This is just an FYI for anyone watching. If you print the template out like I did (via photoshop) on a standard 8 1/2" X 11" sheet of paper, you need to increase it 137% to get the scale to arrive at 10cm. I am off to Kinkos.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oops :oops:
My apologies. I may have gotten that number wrong. It was a while ago that I copied it. Thanks fo the correction Strick

1 - 20 of 25 Posts