Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this 01 SV650S March of 2012 after my younger brother had bought it and laid it over. He wanted to sell it on craigslist for $1500, I told him I would be right back. A quick trip to the bank and the SV was all mine.

This is how it looked when I got it

Ran great, some busted plastics but all in all a good deal. I knew eventually I wanted to fix the plastics, I just didn't realize how much of a pain it is to find 1 gen plastics in decent condition.

I stumbled upon this community and realized how awesome this bike truly was. I priced out some plastics to restore the bike back to her former glory, and then turned my attention to the performance.

Currently what I want to achieve is suspension upgrade first, R/R mod (I already have on the way) new plastics and new paint job (not sure what color yet)

So this is how she sits right now

I will update as I get parts in, right now I am looking at...

- Penske 8983 rear shock and gsxr cartridge set up in the front / both from Zoran @ TWF Racing

- Replacement Fairings (ordered from ebay) DONE

- Rear Hugger and chain guard (not sure which I want yet)

- New seats, the stock ones on it are pretty chewed up

- R/R Swap DONE

- Paint Job

- Different Turn Signals, I'm not a fan of the OEM turns, I am going to look into alternatives.

That's it for now, I'm sure I'll come up with something.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick update, I am going away from the Airtech Upper fairing after some research, I'm going to take my plastics to a friend of mine to see if he can salvage them, if not I'll be watching the for sale section.

I got my R/R and the rear replacement plastics, got a motorcycle lift so next step is get the forks off and ship them off. I will hopefully post some pics once it's torn down and on the lift.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Woohoo! Had some nice weather here for once this week, so I got the lift/ ratchet straps out and started the tear down.

Tank removed-

Wheel and Fender off, also suspended the calipers as to not damage the brake hose-

Forks off -

New R/R plugged in, just need to get longer bolts for it -

Also snagged up a full set of front fairings of ebay, wrapped up the forks so I can ship them to Zoran to get the gsxr cartridge set up.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forks came back and received the new undertail.

New forks installed...

Top view -

The undertail I can't mount yet since I am repainting the bike, but I tossed it up to get an idea of what it will take to mount/ what it would look like.

I have to cut the stock fender a bit more in the back so this will fit up in and I have to cut the undertail to make room for the exhaust bracket.

Next up on the to do list is order the rear hugger w/ chain guard, penske shock, choke cable, tires, windscreen and motosliders. Also I need to get my parts down to Jersey to have them painted up by a buddy of mine that does great work.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick update, I sent the plastics off to be painted so I'm still waiting on those to get done. Bought a set of flush mount turns for the front, however I am not sure if they are going to work and I can't tell until I get my plastics back :) If not I have a back-up plan and I replaced the choke cable.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woohoo! Plastics and tank are done :)

Here are the Hong Kong flush mounts, still not completely sold on them, once I get them installed and wired in I will know for sure

Also received my parts from Blair @ svracingparts, I picked up some stands and motorsliders.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the front end reassembled with the exception of the windscreen which is on it's way.

Got the motosliders on

And tested the wiring and new relay

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Installed the Penske shock. Sorry I didn't take more pictures, but once I got started I got on a roll, then ran into problems, swore a bunch, then got the shock installed.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Put new shoes on her, put the tail back together and put it on to line everything up.

I am in the process of wiring up the new undertail and fitting it up in properly. Once that's done I am going to drain the carbs, put fresh fuel in and fire her up and make sure she runs :) . Then an oil change and hopefully be done with all of the major upgrades/ mods for now. I still need to figure out what is wrong with the choke cable, I may end up taking to a shop to take a look.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ran some good ol' Seafoam through and warmed her up to do the oil change... of course then I had to just go "around the block" first, which then turned into a 30 mile ride with a big smile on my face. Here are some pics of the finished product

List of mods are -

-GSXR Cartridges in the forks thanks to Zoran @ TWF Racing
-Penske 8983 rear shock, also thanks to Zoran @ TWF Racing
-Undertail by supermoto36 on ebay
-Flush mounts leds from wangyionline1980 on ebay
-CNC Lever from PainfullySlow here on SVR
-HammerGrips from the BigHammer himself
-MotoSliders Full Race and swing arm spools from Blair @ SVRacingParts

I highly recommend all of the components used on my bike. The only thing I would mention is the LED turns from China are a bit dull, but for the price I couldn't beat them.

Thanks to everyone who helped me hobble through this process, it was my first time messing with a motorcycle and a good confidence booster for the next project.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Starting up the neverending project again. This year I bought:
  • Galfer SS lines front and back
  • SVRacingParts Rearsets
  • New brake pads
  • Vanzuki Rear Reservoir
  • Fiberglass Undertail
  • Clear Alternative LED taillight kit
  • 90* valve stems