Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Gotcha!!! You sick bastards!!
Now that I have your attention...

This is something I just posted under another thread, but thought this would reach more people-
For those of you who have gone down with either leather or mesh jackets-
My question is-

For those of you who have been down, did your jacket have armour in the elbows, shoulders or back and if so/not how did it protect you?

here's my post-

I have been riding an Olympia mesh jacket for a few years. It has plastic armour(I think it's plastic-something hard) on the elbows and shoulders and padding on the back- (1 inch or so thick). Do most leather jackets have armour in them?.?.? I really didn't check out leathers, as I didn't have the loot at the time. I'm sure some do, but what do you guys have and how has it protected you (armour and no armour)?

I would think the real issue is weather there is padding or armour in the places that count? I think it would take a long fast slide to penetrate the armour I have on my jacket. I say this having never going down, so I really don't know the answer.

I hear of people going down and burning through mesh and strawberry's with leather, but are they burning through the padding and armour too???
Anyway, I like my jacket. It has a liner which I wear when it gets colder and keeps me somewhat cooler when it's 80+ out. Anything over 85 and high humidity I drive in my air conditioned cage.

Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated.
Brent

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
You bastard...

I've heard stories about armor sliding during the fall and doing damage by itself. I haven't had any problems with a leather jacket, but I haven't been down at a fast speed either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. Doesn't look like the first pic is coming up. Might be my computer- might be the image wasn't kosher with the mods.
here's another hottie.
All replies will be rewarded with another HOTTTT CHIK! Don't miss out on the opportunity (sorry if any of these are anyone's girls- I'm really sorry! lol)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Arrrgggghhhhh!!! After that, why don't you meet me somewhere and I'll use you as a test dummy for all different types of gear. :lol: Just kidding... but sh*t son... oh well, back to reading about bickering on the board.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does anyone see these great pics, or is my computer acting up? All I see is a small window with an X in it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cortech Magnum Air: armored all around. 40 mph lowside, slid and tumbled. Jacket had some surface scuffing, nothing tore. Only thing got hurt were my wrists.

Icon TiMax: Friend's jacket. Weird padding type armor. He had a 30mph lowside, slid no tumbles. No damage to him, but the top layer of the forearms of his jacket broke through. No damage to the mesh lining though.

(I have a poultry fetish, so I opened this thread. I like my chicks hot, and deep fried in a secret blend of herbs and spices.)

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
brent said:
does anyone see these great pics, or is my computer acting up? All I see is a small window with an X in it.
Neither pic shows on my screen. Maybe I should delete this thread anyway, just to demonstrate my awesome, uncontrolled power. Well, maybe later. First I'll answer the question.

I've gone down twice wearing a mesh/perfed leather JR jacket (Santa Fe, maybe?) The jacket has soft armor. On the first occasion I went down at low speed but hard, mostly on my left side (I rolled after lowsiding) My shoulder was sore, but I think the armor did its job by spreading the force over the widest area possible. I know a lot of force was put on my left elbow, but there the soft armor stayed right in place and I had NO injury to that part of me. Hard armor tends to transmit and concentrate impact force to one unlucky part of the body in contact with the armor. I was wearing JR mesh pants with the same soft knee armor. Because (I think) the pants were too long for my inseam, the armor didn't stay cupping my knees and I got a whack and a raspberry on my right knee. The whack wasn't serious, but I felt it.
On the second off, I went pavement surfing, belly-down and arms out, at about 45 mph. The damage to my gear (and slightly to me) was all abrasion damage. Again, the gear suffered what are now, and finally, terminal injuries, but better Joe Rocket than me, right? I do not think, on either ocasion, that the force of the accident could have ground down through any of the soft armored padding at the knee, elbow or shoulder. Remember, this was some of the cheapest stuff JR sells, and I'm still here to vex everybody, so I have to endorse soft-armored clothing.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Brent-- First off:
(Thanks, Nudist)

Second-- What Fatass SVS said. General consensus is mesh will protect you at least once in a crash at reasonable street speeds. Even if they are one-crash only, the jacket did its job if you can walk away with a few bruises. Buy another one and keep on trucking...

Third-- Padding/armor is for impact protection. The material (leather, textile, mesh) is for abrasion protection. Leather, due to tight fit, may also hold armor in place better than textile or mesh.

HTH

·
Registered
247 Posts
NonWheezer- Glad to hear the Cortech held up well. I've got non-perforated version and Decker pants.

My only crash was this spring, I had my old Wilson's jacket on. Still looks good after I cleaned the mud off it.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
And Manny does this thread justice.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
What's with manny resurrecting very old threads?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
There are other ways to do that! ;D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts