Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How good or bad is the SV650 or SV650S at carrying a passenger? I'm wondering if the bike could be used for some light two-up weekend, or somewhat longer trips occasionally. Mostly would be used solo, but want a bike capable of making a few trips per year without major discomfort for rider and passenger.We would not be hauling full camping gear, but would stay in motels and would probably have a tank bag and some throwover saddlebags.Total rider + passenger weight would be about 350-360 pounds.

Thanks for your input,
Jon Neet
Puyallup, Wa., USA

·
Registered
254 Posts
It's not the bike of choice but it can handle it. My gf doesn't like sitting back there for longer than 45 minutes, though.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
The rear shock is way to soft for two up bit it will work. If you really want to throw a girl on the back pick up a new rear shock and that will help. Oh yeah do the fronts too!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
it nose dives hard on braking with one on the pillion and stock forks. and i've been told by my wife it's better with the grabrail on. i took mine off when i got a rear seat cowl and it's too much of a pain in the butt to bolt it on and off every time. she also found it uncomfortable for more than 45 minutes at a time. i found the power to be adaquate but not impressive, but between the wife and i you're looking at 330, so that's expected i suppose.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
yashuone said:
it nose dives hard on braking with one on the pillion and stock forks. and i've been told by my wife it's better with the grabrail on. i took mine off when i got a rear seat cowl and it's too much of a pain in the butt to bolt it on and off every time. she also found it uncomfortable for more than 45 minutes at a time. i found the power to be adaquate but not impressive, but between the wife and i you're looking at 330, so that's expected i suppose.
yeah,when my girl is on the back it's about 240.. ;D.still lots of power!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm about 155lbs and the g/f is about 110, and we have lots of fun riding 2up. She is a great pillion and is good at shifting her weight around. But she can only last about an hour before she get tired. I don't have the grab rail on either, maybe I'll bolt it back on and see if she likes it better.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
dang! by myself i'm just 30 pounds shy of the both of you together.  :eek: are you both midgets???

oh wait...

i mean 'little people'  ;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
I ride two up a lot and I cannot express enough the importance of having the grab rail on th bike. The passenger can grab it when she sees I am going to be braking for a corner and keep her from slamming into me and adding a bunch of steering input into the handlebars at just the wrong time. She rides with one arm around my waist and he other on the grabrail when required. This keeps her head in th ride and she doesn't become just dead weight on the back. Using this technique we are able to ride at about 80-90% and ahead of the most solo riders. Our combined weight is about 350 lbs.

Zak

·
Registered
104 Posts
Try riding 2up on a CBR 600. That is just downright painful. Both seats are upholstered wood planks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
yeah,when my girl is on the back it's about 240.. .still lots of power!
dang! by myself i'm just 30 pounds shy of the both of you together. are you both midgets???
Uh, now I'm staring to get a complex. I'm just shy of that 240 lbs mark by 5 lbs all by my lonesome !! Hmm, the medical height/weight chart only goes up to 6'4" and says a large frame person is between 181-207 lbs. That would make me a Sasquatch .

G

·
my mate is 6 foot 5 and he goes on the back all the time, i have only done about 100mile stints with 1 fuel stop and his bum was numb. the bike is still pretty quick even at 33bhp

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
With stock forks I noticed significant dive under braking and its a little harder to get it rolling but once your rolling the bike handles it ok. I hear the rear seat is rather uncomfy and got complaints after 40 minutes. Our combined weight was 300~lbs

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
my girl friend doesn't seem to mind. infact she told me she almost falls asleep on the back. but then again she's dumb. its not the best bike for 2 up but its not horrible either.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My wife rides with me all the time. We typically go around 2 hours between stops. Did a 700 mile weekender last summer and are planning to ride to the rally this year 600 one way. She says it's fairly comfy but it's also the only bike she's ridden much on.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Yeah, my pillions have complained but it was the only bike they have ridden on soooo maybe it's just lack of reference...

·
Registered
142 Posts
I take my wife along on rides quite often. It is usually a good idea to stop every hour or so for a few minutes to stretch your legs and give your buttocks a break.....even when riding solo. After 2 hrs straight you pretty much have to stop (for gas if for nothing else...lol). As long as you take breaks it's ok. I use a buddy belt with my wife and she no longer complains about the lack of a backrest. That way she can hold on the the belt when I accelerate and she doesn't feel like she's going to fall off and she uses the grab bar when I brake to help from pushing into me. It works for us. No problem with power....plenty there...and like some have mentioned before me...out combined weight is over 300. One thing I try to do when riding 2-up is be smooth...no sudden changes...and also increase following distance because braking distance it greater. Staying smooth makes for a more comfortable ride for your passenger. You can tear it up once you're back riding solo, but be considerate of your pillion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts