Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I have michelin pilot road tyres on my bike. The rear one had little profile so I got it changed today - the garage put on a michelin 2CT and unfortunatly I only noticed it now! I'm going on a big bike trip (1500km) tomorrow and am a little bit worried.

Is that a bad thing? Having michelin pilot road on the front and a new michelin pilot 2CT on the rear?

I'm really pissed at the bike shop..

Cheers
Max

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
sorry, :lmao: you won't notice any difference, sure, you will, at first, just like you would if you replaced it with a matching tire its a new tire and yer used to riding with a worn tire

by the time ya got the tire scrubbed in you'll be used to any perceivable differences in handling

·
Registered
683 Posts
The only true issue I can see is in the billing...what did you pay for?

When I bought my Goose, she had a michelin on the rear and a completely different manufacturer's tire on the front. Cheap front tire wore faster than rear, and have recently had it changed to a Michelin.

Honestly, I didn't notice the two completely odd wheels until the one lost it's tread. IMO, I'd say enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
What did you ask for? Did you leave tire choice entirely up to the seller?

If this was their idea, I'd complain and insist that they change it out. Not that the situation is dangerous, just that, if you were relying on their expertise, they blew it.

The Pilot Road (Road? Road 2? Road 3?) is a sport-touring tire, made to balance grip and mileage evenly. That's on your front. The Pilot Power 2CT (I'm assuming it's a Power; otherwise, I don't know what you're referring to) is a sport tire, made to favor grip over mileage. (In fact, the Power 2CT is even stickier than the regular Power.)

Now, while there's no danger in mixing these for regular road use, the preferred application is to put the longer-life tire on the back (since rear tires generally wear 2x the rate of front tires), and the stickier tire on the front (since the front does the steering).

Your shop did the exact opposite. I'd at least ask them what they were thinking, as, to me, anyway, it doesn't make sense. I would bet, though, that their answer will be they used the stickier tire in back simply because that's what they had in stock, and they didn't have the sport-touring tire available in your size. IMO, unless they went over all of this with you and you approved the selection, that's not an acceptable explanation.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I agree with cfreger.

Although maybe the stooge at the shop just saw "pilot" on the side and called it good.

Whatever the case may be that shop has some explaining to do.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
... the stooge at the shop...
this is why you should do your own tires, and as much other maintenance as possible.

no offense is meant toward any members here who work in a shop, but there are a lot of jack-legs out there who just don't care enough to do a good job.

in any case, you'll be ok on those tires, they are not so much different as to create a problem with handling.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys
Appreciate the help - thanks. Arrive safely in North Italy. Will post pictures soon (can someone tell me how I can post images directly in here?).

Here is the low down on my conversation with the motorbike dealer:

Me: Do you guys have time to change my tyre? I have michelin pilot road..
Garage: Yes, drop it down and we will take a look.

I dropped it down to them and they changed it on time and all was groovy. Only when I got home did I notice. I sent them an email today complaining - I told them either they exchange the tyre with a michelin pilot road, or they change the front tyre with a michelin pilot power 2CT.

I would be happy with either situation really, still I find it pretty bad that a bike dealer could make such a big mistake. I mean, it cost me around 280$ for the rear tyre and changing fee, so I would expect a little competance..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts