Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike was laid over, low speed, in an intersection.

I found one of the forks was bent, so I replaced both, but the forks/handlebar still appears to be twisted.

Anyone have similar experience? Do you think I need to replace the upper and lower triple tree too or is it something else?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Take the lower triple off and set it on a flat piece of glass. That will tell you if it's tweaked or not. I've never seen an upper triple get bent.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Take the lower triple off and set it on a flat piece of glass. That will tell you if it's tweaked or not. I've never seen an upper triple get bent.
I've just seen them break, particularly on the newer bikes.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Dang, that must have been a heck of a crash. I've seen some seriously wadded up SVs, yet to see that. :eek:
Usually the forks bend and break first but I have seen it on 2nd gens, R6's, Gixxer's etc...

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
loosen the main nut on the upper tripple, align them, then tighten it down.
Usually doing the triple bolts is where ya'd want to loosen to try and realign. Old dirtbike trick after binning it :lol:

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
...and then ya find a tree to wack the frontend on...
continuation of nate's dirtbike trick...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input folks. I found a used triple lower on ebay for $60 shipped. Should be here Tuesday. I'll post if it resolves my problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought an upper triple off a naked SV on Ebay. It turned out to have a symmetrical bend of around 1.5 degrees between the two bores. Owning a machine shop, I simply built a press jig to bend it straight again. Got the bores back to within .001", then inspected via dye penetrant.

It's on the bike now. No problems.

Of course, the triple I bought also had dried blood on it. That was the giveaway. ;)

So yes, they can bend...

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Thanks for the input folks. I found a used triple lower on ebay for $60 shipped. Should be here Tuesday. I'll post if it resolves my problem.
Wish I would have known - I could have sold you a complete set for around that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: It turned out to be the lower triple tree clamp. I replaced it. Now the handlebars and forks are straight.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts