Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have an 02 SV650N that has a Two Brothers aluminum oval slip-on exhaust (it was installed by the previous owner). I like it, but it's a little loud for me. Is there any way to adjust the sound level, apart from buying a new exhaust?
Thanks

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
ear plugs?

SDrider went through this for a while. I called him a poosey and he got over it ;D

·
Registered
367 Posts
If your not wearing ear plugs when you ride, you should probably start, especially if you do any sustained 60+mph rides.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Earplugs. + eleventy billion

My exhaust isn't much louder than stock (running an OEM GSX-R 1000 can), yet it's loud. But even louder is the wind noise around the helm.

Put earplugs in. Learn from the painful experience of those of us who have probably been riding for decades longer than you.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
The Leo Vince's come with a baffle plate that you just insert into the exhaust between the can and the mid-pipe. Its basically a disc with holes in it - You could make something like that fairly easily and it would probably cut down the sound.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Trouble with most db killers is that they're really just a plug- they cut noise by restricting exhaust flow, which can affect performance. Also, they tend to sound a bit flatulent, for the same reason. Not a fan really, unless the can's designed for it like a Remus Revolution. Even when the exhaust comes with one as standard it's often just a token effort for legal reasons, with the can really being designed only for uncorked use.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Zach, I'll try not to be a poosey :)

Two Brothers said I could repack it, but since it had so few miles it probably didn't need it. They did mention that twins were much harder on the packing than I4 motors.

Instead of doing anything about the exhaust noise, I bought myself a new Shoei RF-1000 helmet yesterday. MUCH quieter in there than in my old, worn-out RF-700. That helmet did last me 14 years, so I shouldn't complain.

I was also shocked that my local dealer sold it to me at the "dennis kirk" price. They even beat it by $4. Is it the economy, or did I just find a good dealer?
BTW, I saw the new R1 in person. WOW, nice bike...

Thanks guys (and gals)
Mikemo

ear plugs?

SDrider went through this for a while. I called him a poosey and he got over it ;D

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Thanks Zach, I'll try not to be a poosey :)

Two Brothers said I could repack it, but since it had so few miles it probably didn't need it. They did mention that twins were much harder on the packing than I4 motors.

Instead of doing anything about the exhaust noise, I bought myself a new Shoei RF-1000 helmet yesterday. MUCH quieter in there than in my old, worn-out RF-700. That helmet did last me 14 years, so I shouldn't complain.

I was also shocked that my local dealer sold it to me at the "dennis kirk" price. They even beat it by $4. Is it the economy, or did I just find a good dealer?
BTW, I saw the new R1 in person. WOW, nice bike...

Thanks guys (and gals)
Mikemo
WTF?

I won't wear a helm longer than 3 years. Too many minuscule dings in it that can and will hamper its ability to distribute the force of a collision when you need it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
WTF?

I won't wear a helm longer than 3 years.
Do you work for Shoei? :D

Really, I've heard that before. I don't replace the seatbelts in my car every three years. I would think a helmet should last longer too (assuming you don't drop it). Granted, 14 years is probably WAY on the long side to use one. Never dropped it. Never left it in the rain or sun. I could tell that the padding was getting less flexible, which is why I retired it.

I don't throw away aspirin when the expiration date passes either, but milk is a different story :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have a Two Bros. can too.

If it's the "C" can there isn't much can be done about it. I doubt repacking will fix anything. I don't mind the noise of the can while riding. There's much more wind noise, but I really don't like how loud it is idling. It's an attention getter at work, and not in a good way. I also like to be a responsible neighbor. It's also just stupid and annoying.

I don't think there's much for it but to put a stock can back on. It's heavy and heavy looking but at least it's quiet. You can prolly pick up a clean one cheap since everyone is in such a hurry to install loudness.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Do you work for Shoei? :D

Really, I've heard that before. I don't replace the seatbelts in my car every three years. I would think a helmet should last longer too (assuming you don't drop it). Granted, 14 years is probably WAY on the long side to use one. Never dropped it. Never left it in the rain or sun. I could tell that the padding was getting less flexible, which is why I retired it.

I don't throw away aspirin when the expiration date passes either, but milk is a different story :)

No, I don't, but I start to notice lots of dings and nicks as time goes by. Those dings and nicks are small collisions. Those collisions stress and even crack the shell.

Three years is a good life for a helm, especially when I'm paying about $150 each.

(edit)

You say 14 years is too long. Why then? I just chose three years. It makes me comfortable.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I think Arai and Shoei both say 5 years. Remember that the protective part of a helmet is basically very similiar to packing foam, it shrinks and embrittles over time even if you never wear it.

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hear you. I hope you know the "work for Shoei" comment was tongue-in-cheek.

I replaced the helmet because I could feel that it wasn't as snug on my head as it used to be. I could feel the padding becoming thinner. Not significantly, but enough that I could tell.

I understand that the materials inside the helmet are important in protecting your head in a crash. I don't understand why a manufacturer would use a material that would degrade over time, particularly on a safety product like a helmet. I wonder if the manufacturers have test data that show the decrease in effectiveness over time of their products?

I guess this is off topic, sorry about that. I am looking for a complete stock exhaust to replace my Two Brothers slip-on. I know, I'm a poosey :)

Thanks
Mikemo

No, I don't, but I start to notice lots of dings and nicks as time goes by. Those dings and nicks are small collisions. Those collisions stress and even crack the shell.

Three years is a good life for a helm, especially when I'm paying about $150 each.

(edit)

You say 14 years is too long. Why then? I just chose three years. It makes me comfortable.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I don't understand why a manufacturer would use a material that would degrade over time, particularly on a safety product like a helmet. I wonder if the manufacturers have test data that show the decrease in effectiveness over time of their products?
They would do that because there isn't a better material. If you think about it the EPS foam inside the helmet is designed to absorb energy by compressing. In a crash it compresses in a plastic way, meaning it stays deformed.

You would not want it compress and absorb eslastically because it would re release the energy into your skull and neck. In effect the foam dampens the impact by dissipating the energy through permanent compression.

Every time you put on your helmet it's like a tiny crash, meaning there is an impact. It compresses the foam a tiny bit. There is a negative correlation between a helmet that lasts forever and one that protects well.

We could talk about how much that compression matters. Wearing a helmet that is brand new is 100% better than not wearing one. Wearing one that's a little (like a tiny bit loose) is 99%? 98% as good and so on. My sense is that the small amount of compression I've noticed over a couple years wont matter much. It's a matter of preference. If you have the money and it offers peace of mind it's worth it.

I guess this is off topic, sorry about that. I am looking for a complete stock exhaust to replace my Two Brothers slip-on. I know, I'm a poosey :)

Thanks
Mikemo
You need the rear header and the can. You wont need the front pipe. Chalk one up for sensible people. I am sure selling your C2 would likely cover the cost of the stock system, since they are not really in demand. You might also offer to trade, since your rear header is already cut you could swap out the whole thing.

As an aside exhausts only add power at wide open throttle. Unless you operate at WOT there will be no difference in performance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
im willing to trade my stock for your aftermarket exhaust? if ya want.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts