Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know a lot of you wont understand how someone could do this but today a customer traded in a 2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R Factory for a Buell XB12Scg. I wasn't working with him but the salesman that was said that he changes bikes pretty often. Very nice looking bike in person and I absolutely can not wait to take it out for a demo ride. Sounds nice too with the Akrapovic exhaust on there. It can be yours for $9495 plus applicable sales tax!

Oh yeah, I also think its funny that he traded in Thunder for Lightning

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Wow, a Tuono Factory for a Harley engined Buell... that's just a little bit of a downgrade.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Well... they're both v-twins. :dontknow:?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Wow, a Tuono Factory for a Harley engined Buell... that's just a little bit of a downgrade.
Buells don't have harley engines any more, it's a rotax, they've built engines for just about every motorcycle and atv company you can think of.

Honestly, I have to say I dig the Buell more than the Tuono, it's italian sure, but it's like the hyundai tiburon of italian bikes...and just plain ugly from an artistic standpoint.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Buells don't have harley engines any more, it's a rotax, they've built engines for just about every motorcycle and atv company you can think of.

Honestly, I have to say I dig the Buell more than the Tuono, it's italian sure, but it's like the hyundai tiburon of italian bikes...and just plain ugly from an artistic standpoint.
Are you serious?

The XB12 (the bike traded for) is powered by a massaged H-D sportster engine.

The Aprilia Tuono combines Italian soul with Japanese reliability. Probably why it's consistently been on the top-ten lists of enthusiasts and moto-journalists since it was introduced several years ago, and the Factory R version (the traded bike) is the top of the heap.

Other than that, you got it exactly right! ;D

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Are you serious?

The XB12 (the bike traded for) is powered by a massaged H-D sportster engine.

The Aprilia Tuono combines Italian soul with Japanese reliability. Probably why it's consistently been on the top-ten lists of enthusiasts and moto-journalists since it was introduced several years ago, and the Factory R version (the traded bike) is the top of the heap.

Other than that, you got it exactly right! ;D

This is most definately not a sportster engine, it's known as the Buell Thunderstorm 1203 and 984, they were designed by Rotax and Buell, there is nothing harley about it..... see the trans cases? their about a third the size if the sportster trans. and those are definately not sportster jugs or heads.

Maybe your thinking of the Gen1 with the air cooled evo engine, now that was definately ripped off from the sportster, i've helped tear into the first gen buell a few times.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
This is most definately not a sportster engine....
It's also most "definately" (sp) NOT the engine in the Buell XB12Scg. The XB Series is powered by the air/oil/fan cooled Buell Thunderstorm 1203cc engine (which is a re-worked Sportster 1200 engine). What you've posted is the water-cooled Buell Helicon 1125cc engine (which powers the 1125 Series).

vs.

I have ridden both of the above bikes (actually, the XB I rode was a 12L, not a 12Scg). Trust me, they have vastly different engines.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
The Tuono, despite being an "older" design, continues to be chosen as the top sporty/naked/streetfighter to this day, topping the KTM SuperDuke, the top level Monster, the SpeedTriple and everyone else that jumps into the ring.

Perhaps finally the new Ducati Streetfighter will top it ... maybe.

I like the first generation Tuono better in terms of styling ... but for all around performance, handling, comfort, etc .. they still cannot be beat.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Meh, the Aprilias don't do anything for me. I'd take the Buell as well. Sure the Tuono engine is a better engine. But I really dig the Buell XB12scg. There's nothing Wrong with the Buell engines, they are just old technology. I have a couple of friends that have XB12's (and one with an XB9r and another with a Firebolt) for years now and they've never had any issues, they love them.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
BTW - The current air-cooled XB engine, well, make that all air colled XB engines from 2003 and onward are not based at all on the Sportster engine. They share nothing in common.

I'ver ridden a Tuono (1st and 2nd gen) and they are a nice bike. Fun to ride, decently comfy and a nice motor. I'd love to have one as a track day/bonzai street carver. But for an everyday, liveable motorcycle, the Buell wins hands down. The Tuono motor on the street is a little high strung for me. It seems it likes to be worked to have fun.

I know most of you are going to give me **** about this, but that's okay.

·
Registered
308 Posts

the tuono has a rotax engine

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
BTW - The current air-cooled XB engine, well, make that all air colled XB engines from 2003 and onward are not based at all on the Sportster engine. They share nothing in common.

In every Buell review I've seen, including recent ones, and some interviews with The Man, himself, the XB engine is described as being "Sportster-derived." I don't doubt that after years of seperate development paths for both the XB and the Sportster engines, the current XB engine has no interchangeable parts with the current Sportster engine.

However, to say they have "nothing in common" is maybe a bit of an overstatement, no? They at least share a common history, common predecessors, common design parameters, and a common corporate parent. To put it another way, they started out as brothers; now, they're first cousins.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
This is most definately not a sportster engine, it's known as the Buell Thunderstorm 1203 and 984, they were designed by Rotax and Buell, there is nothing harley about it..... see the trans cases? their about a third the size if the sportster trans. and those are definately not sportster jugs or heads.
[IG]http://i39.tinypic.com/sngap0.jpg[/IMG]

Maybe your thinking of the Gen1 with the air cooled evo engine, now that was definately ripped off from the sportster, i've helped tear into the first gen buell a few times.
I believe I see a water pump sitting right where the V comes together, right? An XB12 is air/oil cooled. That's an 1125 engine you have pictured.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
The XB engine is most definitely a reworked Sportster engine. The rotating and reciprocating mass was unique to Buell until HD adopted the heads for the new XR1200. Rotax had absolutely zero insight into the XB engine.

As mentioned above, Rotax makes the 1125R/CR engine.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
So I appoligize in my "over-sight." The tuber framed Buell's (~02) were Sportster derived in parts-n-pieces. The new XB (03~) is not. The cases are different, the jugs are different, as is everything. You cannot take any Sportster parts and put them on the XB engine and vice-versa.

While the XB is designed with the original Sportster engine in mind, it is completely different.

On the early Buell motors, you could add/bolt-on any Sportster performance parts, ie heads, jugs, pistons, cams etc.... Not so with the XB motors. They may look similar, but they are vastly different.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts