Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an '01 SV650s. It's in pretty good condition, everything is stock with the exception of braided brake lines. I was wanting to tune it up before I start riding it. It is just shy of 14k miles. I am mechanically inclined (Air Force Crew Chief on F-16s), and was wondering what if all should I do to it? Not looking to spend a whole lot. Thanks all for your help. I bought the Clymers repair manual.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
you can check/change your plugs, air filter, engine oil/filter, and check clutch adjustment as simple things to do. Beyond that, you could check if your carbs are synced which is not hard, just a little more time consuming than the other things listed. Also you can change your fork oil to get a little better feeling from your forks.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'd actually take things a step further. Although the bike only has 14k miles on it I would go through the bike with a fine tooth comb. Check things like brake pads/fluid, radiator fluid, chain length (this MAY need to be replaced), lights/electrics, etc

Typically people aren't going to service a bike before they sell it to someone and most of the time when I've known people who sell a bike, they've done it once the bike needs a couple hundred on a service. So assume that you'll need to do a major service on the bike just to be safe. You can do all of these things yourself (although syncing carbs can be a pain and you have to buy some pricey equipment). I assume you will do this...but check the tires for cracks. Even if they have decent tread wear left, they may be cracked and might still need to be replaced. This can be a huge factor in how your bike rides.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
DOH!!! Forgot the chain ^thanks guy up there

Also for syncing the carbs you can make the tool(manometer) for doing it very easily and for less than $10

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, will do. I'm definetly changing the oil, and topping off fluids. Tires are good, chain needs to be adjusted. Brakes are about 50%. No ticking, so I don't think the valve shims are bad, maybe sync the carbs, hope it's in the clymer manual I ordered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts