Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since Katrina and the fuel prices skyrocketed I have been riding my SV.   Since the message was to conserve fuel I tried my part to minimize my fuel usage.    To conserve fuel I started short shifting, tucking, and slowing down 5mph.   The results have been nothing but amazing to me.

Most of my riding is a 34 mile one way daily commute including, 40 highway miles a day.   Historically I have gotten about 41 MPG on my 2002 SVS (approximate average over past 8,000 mi) at about 80mph.  I always thought I got crappy fuel milage due to the carbs not being set properly ( I think I need shims)

Over the past four weeks and 1000 miles I have average 52mpg!  AN 11MPG increase.    I have tried shifting normally and speeding up from 70 to 80 mph with only a small difference in fuel consumption.    The key to the increased fuel milage has been tucking at speeds over 40mph.   

I'm just blown away ( or not blown away since I am now tucking while on the highway) at the astonishing difference in economy.    I figure that I have saved 5 gallons of fuel which translates to $15.  Not large savings but every dollar helps.  (over the same periods I figure that I have saved 30 gallons or $100 by not driving my truck)           

tHANKs

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I haven't been tucking, but I have slowed down, ridig with my GF, at her speed, either following or leading, she has a Vulcan 500, we keep up with traffic when there is any, but otherwise, just leisurely cruising, labor Day weekend we rode about 900 miles in nothern New England, I went 145 miles a couple times on a tank of gas, up from 130 a 5 mpg increase, I haven't seen over 140 miles per tank since I had jets & exaust put on over 100,000 miles ago

even if I try to tuck, I'm still a barn door, I don't bother, it's uncomfortable

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah I used to get a 5mpg increase when I tucked in for long periods of time. On my SVN I haven't gone below 50 since I got it though, so I don't care, lol. If I ever did a really long highway stretch I probably would but straight roads suck!

Grats on that change, it's a sweet one.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I ride my 2000 naked to work every day, 13 miles each way, about 5 miles of highway. I don't tuck, but I've been been pretty conservative on acceleration. I think that's the key to better mileage, at least when you have more than a half-dozen stops or so. For the last two weeks I've been getting 54 mpg. I got 200.2 miles on my last tank before fill up, and the fuel light had just gone solid.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
:D when i tuck i lose gas mileage from inevitable throttle twist action.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts