Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using earplugs that is.

Someone mentioned on another thread that they wear earplugs while riding. I didnt quite get it....
BUT today i found a pair in my 'junk drawer' and decided to give em a shot.
At first it was kinda wacky....i could feel every bump through my head....

but man, when you get on the highway, its totally amazing. There is such a HUGE difference in comfort. It even seemed like i was less fatigued than usual after a few hours.

I rode 300 km tonite with the plugs and it was wicked.

You guys/gals should try em....It even makes all those wacky SV clicks and clangs go away.

C

·
Registered
154 Posts
I use them all the time. Both on street and why. They are a must to protect hearing but it is amazing how much more mentally focused you are with them.

Under200

·
Registered
35 Posts
It never gets that loud that I would actually need ear plugs and it's never uncomfortable. I much enjoy listening to my TBR exhaust :) I did however use an mp3 player on my 200 mile trip to OKC a few weeks ago and that made a huge difference because I had something nice to listen to besides road noise.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
The bark of my exhaust is what I live for. Without it, I'd die.

·
Registered
114 Posts
SiFactor said:
It never gets that loud that I would actually need ear plugs and it's never uncomfortable.  I much enjoy listening to my TBR exhaust :)  I did however use an mp3 player on my 200 mile trip to OKC a few weeks ago and that made a huge difference because I had something nice to listen to besides road noise.
I urge you to wear ear plugs even if you don't feel uncomfortable. You may be used to the noises while riding but I guarantee they are damaging your hearing. You will still hear plenty with the plugs but your eardrums will thank you in the future. Personally I never, and I mean never, ride without them. The difference is huge. Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Too late.

Tinnitus already rules my ears.:(

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
well, i have noticed im becoming deaf. so i need earplugs soon.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Actually, you need earplugs now to protect what's left.

To those who don't use them... use them. It's been discussed on the board, but as a quick recap for those who are newer...

Wind noise is a "silent killer" for motorcycling. You WILL lose at least some of your hearing if you do not use earplugs every time you ride.

Also, you will hear your exhaust through the earplugs, just not as loud.

As has been mentioned your focus is better, you get less tired, and the earplugs are very inexpensive.

So if it's a choice between a couple of bucks for 10 earplugs and the loss of your hearing the choice, to me, is obvious.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do you have a link that shows this? I mostly do city riding which involves alot of stop and go so I don't get that wind noise for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Why do you need something that shows this? Do you not ever notice pain in your ears after you get done riding?

Yesterday, I went for about 150 mile ride. 25 miles into the ride my MP3 player died on me and 25 miles later I was able to stop and see what was going on. Since it completely died(meaning I will need a new one) I took my other set of earplugs out and put them in. About 70 to 75 miles later I got pulled over for speeding. So after I hand Texas' finest my license I pull my earplugs out without him seeing. There isnt a law against it, but I didn't want him to hassle me, and since there was a good distance between us, I couldn't hear him like I liked.
When all was said and done, he wasn't pulling away until I did, so I didn't get my earplugs back in. I rode the last 25 to 30 miles home, and my ears were ringing when I got there. This morning I am feeling the pain so bad! It's like a major ear infection is how the pain feels. I will never ride again without my earplugs.
Besides, there are so many different earplugs out there, you can find a pair that is comfortable and to your liking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i can't say i've ever noticed that. My helmet is not loud with wind and I really don't see how the subtle noise of wind could be bad. Now I know wind itself can be bad but the helmet prevents any air from blowing across my ear, so that's not a worry. The ear is designed to interprete sound and the sound of the air passing by my helmet is no where near an uncomfortable decibal so I'm just not seeing how it's bad for my ears.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You really should try wearing ear plugs just to hear the difference. I guarantee the wind noise is there no matter how quiet your helmet is. This is for your long term health. Don't take your hearing for granted. Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i do quite a bit of riding with my dad who has a night train with vance & hines pipes...ear plugs are standard equipment.  ;D

normally i dont bother with them but it is nice to get off the bike, pull them out, and hear perfectly

glad your enjoyin it and a big +1 on makin those "clicks and clings" go away!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts