Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Main problem - Losing front cylinder under load.

Ok little history of what we've done so far.

1. Bike was bought with the assumption of the previous owner that the rings were bad, as a drunken burnout in an attempt to blow the tire was unsuccessful but the motor just quit.

2. Get bike home, compression test reads all clear 205 rear, 208 front - plugs are heavily fouled - replaced and motor started right up - although running rough.

3. The bike sat for nearly a year before we bought it so we decided the carbs could probably use a cleaning/refresh. Rebuilt the carbs with the factory manual and advice from the forum, included all basic gaskets, needle, diaphragm, main jet etc. Carbs were pretty clean but it seemed like some cheap insurance just in case.

4. Fresh battery was installed.

5. Bike will idle all day long and run at a relaxed pace on the street. After about 5-15 minutes of spirited riding it turn into an SV325. This can normally be remedied by pulling over and letting the bike cool down for a few minutes. Also other times a good dose of choke and some revs and the missing cylinder pops back into action. Once it starts happening it's frequency will increase and make it very difficult to keep running - lots of revs and clutch to keep it alive.

6. Replaced the stator and whatever that thing is called inside the stator cover that controls when the plugs fire along with swapping coils - problem is not remedied.

Pretty well stumped at this point anyone have any pointers?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
The part that's inside the stator cover is the pulse or signal generator. Since the problem doesn't go away with swapping the coils and it does help when you use the choke, I would think that your issue is with fueling for the front cylinder or valve clearance perhaps.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Definitely check valve clearances.
Try replacing the front spark plug cap. They tend to loosen up over time and not make good contact.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
When I had the "sv325" syndrome it turned out that I had a head gasket leak into the spark plug well that was causing my spark to not make it to the combustion chamber. It was on the fwd cylinder as well. I recommend looking closely at plug wire for any white residue if this is a possibility for you. It's unlikely to be the gasket, but it may be. Good luck!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I had the "sv325" syndrome it turned out that I had a head gasket leak into the spark plug well that was causing my spark to not make it to the combustion chamber. It was on the fwd cylinder as well. I recommend looking closely at plug wire for any white residue if this is a possibility for you. It's unlikely to be the gasket, but it may be. Good luck!

It very well could be - the previous owner did his drunken best to destroy the bike, he actually dug a 2-3 inch hole in the blacktop driveway doing his burnout.

I'll start with the easy stuff and work my way up the list, thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts