Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the ignition cylinder is sometimes difficult to turn with the key. i end up wiggling the key around to get it to turn.

can i get a new cylinder from the dealer for the same key?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
tonye said:
the ignition cylinder is sometimes difficult to turn with the key. i end up wiggling the key around to get it to turn.

can i get a new cylinder from the dealer for the same key?
have you tried lubing it yet?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have just recently had a similar issue with my '00. WD-40 seemed to help for a little while. I had concerns over shorting the electical system (I am not a mechanic) and only sprayed a very small amount directly on my key before inserting.

RandyO-- What product/lube would you suggest?

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
What I use is graphite- it comes in a tube that you can get it at NE auto parts store. I use it on the locks on my cage too.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
RN-- Do you apply the graphite lube directly to the key and then insert?

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Yep- stick the tube into the hole and squeeze. :lol:

Edit: into the keyhole- not the key.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
ride_naked said:
Yep- stick the tube into the hole and squeeze. :lol:

Edit: into the keyhole- not the key.

Im'a skeered. That won't short out the electrical? I can't see what's going on in there and I'll be nervous squeezing anything into there...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
RN and TWF-- Thanks! 8) I'll give it a shot when I work up the courage... :oops:

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
I have just recently had a similar issue with my '00. WD-40 seemed to help for a little while. I had concerns over shorting the electical system (I am not a mechanic) and only sprayed a very small amount directly on my key before inserting.

I carry a container of graphite anitfreeze spray, but have never used in on my bike, I have used it with good results in car door locks.

I have never used in on my bike, cause my dealer takes good care of things like that. I'll ask them what they use if I remember next time I go in for service

·
Registered
93 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:

You can just spray WD40 directly into the keyswitch. Wait till it drips out the bottom and you're good to go.

Andy

N

·
0 Posts
Graphite is the lube of choice for locks -oil ist verboten! (it traps sand and crap). A shot of contact cleaner and some graphite usually makes a noticeable diff.

:)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Dry graphite spray acceptable?

Got a feeling I'll find like a 1 pound tube, squeeze it all into the ignition cylinder/key hole and I'll be pooping graphite loob for days... :oops:

N

·
0 Posts
I would think so, yes. The graphite comes as a dry powder in a little tube about the size of a magic marker. You stick the tip in the lock and give it a squeeze.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
I would think so, yes. The graphite comes as a dry powder in a little tube about the size of a magic marker. You stick the tip in the lock and give it a squeeze.

Dry powder-- Now THAT makes sense!! Thanks, nc_sv650. 8)

"Death awaits you with big... sharp... pointy teeth" -- 'Tim' the enchanter

·
Registered
82 Posts
andy4us said:
You can just spray WD40 directly into the keyswitch. Wait till it drips out the bottom and you're good to go.

Andy
Never spray a oil or grease into a lock. It attracts dirt and grit. Only use graphite or other lubricating powders.

·
Registered
703 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
Graphite is the lube of choice for locks -oil ist verboten! (it traps sand and crap). A shot of contact cleaner and some graphite usually makes a noticeable diff.

+1

I work with a locksmith in my security shop and that's exactly what he recommends. Though I have been guilty of using a drop of bicycle chain lube (Pedro's Ice Wax) on the key every so often. Just wipe off the excess so I don't gunk up the cylinder.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Wiggle the bars

One thing that can keep the key from turning is the handlebar lock. If the front end is turned so the lock is in contact with the locking lug then it will be hard to turn the bars. Sometimes pulling or pushing on the bars will unload the locking pin and the key will turn easily.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
dhuze said:
andy4us said:

Andy
Never spray a oil or grease into a lock. It attracts dirt and grit. Only use graphite or other lubricating powders.
WD40 is not a lubricant (oil/grease) , it's Water Dispersal Agent #40

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i finally get a chance to respond. it seems on mine like the tumblers(whatever is in ht ecylinder) are getting worn like the key doesnt put them in position to turn freely.
but i will go find some graphite lube and try it. hopefully that fix it

thanks alot

1 - 20 of 22 Posts