Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helped a friend pick up a 2002 SV-S today, 14k miles. When the bike was cold I do not recall there being an issue. After riding the bike 40 mins I went to park it and put it in neutral. Went down into first fine but when I went to half shift it into neutral the shifter was stuck. All my effort could not even make it shift into 2nd. I tightend the clutch cable with no change. If I blip the throttle while preloading the shifter I could get it to change gears. Also with the clutch in the bike would pull alittle, just enough that if I pulled my feet up the bike would begin to creep away.

I'm not new to bikes, but I haven't had one act in this manner yet. Shift cable stretched too much maybe? Bent shift fork? Going to look deeper into the bike over the following week and see if something sticks out as an issue. Anyone run into this before?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Two adjustments

There is another adjustment under the front sprocket cover. You can download a service manual to see how to adjust it, or look in this site for a post about this adjustment. That could be the problem. Other things could be a warped plate (not too common), old oil (try a diesel-specific oil like Rotella, Delvac, Delo, etc.), or oil overfill (look at the owner's manual to see how to check the level correctly).

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Well if you can't find out when the last oil change was, should have been at the 12k mark. I'd start with a new fresh oil and filter and see what that does. Also just go ahead and flush and fill all fluids if you can't establish the last time they were changed.

:)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Planning an oil change for tuesday. The current oil looks ok in color, and the level is correct. But we'll change it anyways so there isn't any questions on the age of the oil. He's going to order a new clutch cable this week. Hopefully one of those 2 things fixes it.

It's a 2001 SV-S with 14k miles in pretty good shape. Only things needed are general maintance....tires....chains...so on. Paid 3k with 2 helmets, cover, battery tender. Nice deal, alot of bike for no money. This will be the 3rd SV650 I've spent time on, great bikes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've run into this problem as well...

I have not tried a rotella..or other diesel fuel. sirbac. please let us know if the oil change remedys the problem.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully I'll have a favorable answer for you on tuesday.

Yesterday when I tried to tighten the clutch cable as the first remedy to this, I got it tight enough that the clutch was now only partialy engageing when let out. Bad enough that it was slipping under full throttle. So you can assume that the clutch would no longer be dragging when pulled in, but I was still getting the issue in first gear. With the bike off or rolling it shifts fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i can let you guys know if the oil change fixes the problem too...

...it's my bike. ;)

some monkeying with the various clutch adjustments is in order, we're not going to try a new clutch cable just yet... oil / hydraulic fluid is getting changed on tuesday though, we'll see if it does the trick.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
It might be simpler than that. At the front of the gear change linkage (opposite end from the lever) check that the clamp thing is properly tightened onto the shaft which sticks out from the engine (yeah, I'm the man with the jargon today :)) I've just put mine back on the road after a 4 month layup and I was having a lot of trouble finding neutral and occasionally shifting from first, basically the clamp had loosened and there was too much free play to allow the bike to change gear.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
ADJUST THE MECHANISM UNDER THE FRONT SPROCKET COVER. DOWNLOAD A MANUAL.

Sorry to shout, but adjusting the cable is not the way to fix this problem. The solution was presented early on.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I am sure Andy is right, but mine only does this when it needs an oil change.

That said, I have found that if you flip the kill switch the bike will shift very easily into neutral. It may just be me, but I think heat might be a problem as well. When I was taking my MSF course I was having a lot of trouble getting into neutral as the class progressed through the day. The bike was about 1/2 way through a normal oil change cycle so I don't think it was that. There was about 30 people in my class so there was a fair amount of waiting at times. It was about 85* and I noticed that after a while it became harder and harder to shift into neutral. That is when I figured out the kill feature. I would fall into line...kill the bike...bump into neutral...restart bike and push with my legs whenever I needed to move forward a bike length. Sure as heel beat sitting there holding in the clutch. I know it is not a fix, but could help if you get in a position where you need to get into neutral.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts